[comp.os.minix] How/where to upgrade PC 1.3 to 1.5.3?

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (02/26/90)

This subject has probably been beaten to death, but anway:

A friend of mine recently purchased Minix 1.3 for his PC AT.  Anyway, he wants
to upgrade to 1.5.3.  Specifically:

What does he need?  (1.4.0 files?  1.5.0 files?  1.5.3 files?)
Where can he get them?   (Anonymous FTP site?)

Actually, since the 1.5.3 stuff was just posted, I know where to get that.  But
it says you need 1.5.0, so he needs those.  Does he need 1.4.0 also?

Direct all Email replies to me.  Thanks!

/\=======================================================================/\
\/ Reality: Steve Snodgrass  |"Volts embodied intent, and Amps were the  \/
/\  -^-^- Cyberspace -^-^-   | runners who carried out those intentions, /\
\/ GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu| against the Ohms." -Gregory Benford, ToL  \/
/\ GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | Sleep is a luxury, spare time a myth. -me /\
\/ uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | Recumbent Amigas - the only way to hack.  \/

phil@dprmpt.UUCP (Philip Hall ) (03/04/90)

In article <8.25e89730@uoft02.utoledo.edu> grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:
>This subject has probably been beaten to death, but anway:
>
>A friend of mine recently purchased Minix 1.3 for his PC AT.  Anyway, he wants
>to upgrade to 1.5.3.  Specifically:
>
>What does he need?  (1.4.0 files?  1.5.0 files?  1.5.3 files?)
>Where can he get them?   (Anonymous FTP site?)
>
>Actually, since the 1.5.3 stuff was just posted, I know where to get that.  But
>it says you need 1.5.0, so he needs those.  Does he need 1.4.0 also?
>. . . . .

i also would be interested in the answer to this question.
i have v1.2, do i need v1.3 before going to v1.5.3?
if so, i know i can get it from P.H.but since we don't have access to FTP,
how/where do i get them?
also, another question:
i have a need to change the number of display lines,i am visually impaired,
and use a speech board that examines display memory. it unfortunately only
can "read" the first 25 lines of display memory. how do i change the number
so lines 26-4x are not used?

thanks for any help.

phil@ uunet!dprmpt