[comp.os.minix] problems with 1.5.0 ST

frankb@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) (03/02/90)

Hello there,

I have been working on the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.5.0 but I can't get it
right.

Some of the problems I have:
1. "more" still crashes after the first window

2. "sh" crashes everytime I'm using regular expressions (like "ls -l *.c")
	it gets signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

3. "mkdir" doesn't work,
	it complains: "<directory>: cannot create"
	even if your are the owner of the current the directory
	and have "rwx" permissions to it.

These are the major problems, I have not been testing all commands yet, but
these are the most important ones.

I know that the installation guide says that problem (1) means that I don't
have a 1.5.0 kernel. But I'm sure about using a new compiled kernel,
completed with some known patches (for stmain and ...).
The 'crc'-values in for the kernel, include-files, library and
sh, more and mkdir are ok.

I am not sure about the Makefile's I'm using because they seemed to be
wrong sometimes.
Probably the problems I have are caused by improper CFLAGS in some
Makefile's.
Could someone mail (or post) the right CFLAGS for all Makefile's.

It was easy to do the upgrade of the library, kernel and others (it could be
done in 2 evenings) but I'm working on this problem for more than 2 weeks
now.
Last sunday I restarted the whole upgrade starting with only the original (1.1)
sources but the problems continued.

I hope somebody can help me  ?????

meulenbr@cstw68.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (03/02/90)

In article <2558@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> frankb@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) writes:
>Some of the problems I have:
>1. "more" still crashes after the first window

Use the 1.5.3 more. The 1.5.3 commands are much more stable than the
1.5.0 ones. Also try to inclrease memory if you haven't done so.
Be sure to say
TERM=minix
export TERM
somewhere in your .profile
Take care that you have /etc/termcap and that it has an entry for minix

>2. "sh" crashes everytime I'm using regular expressions (like "ls -l *.c")
>	it gets signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
I seem to recall this is fixed in 1.5.3 too.

>3. "mkdir" doesn't work,
>	it complains: "<directory>: cannot create"
>	even if your are the owner of the current the directory
>	and have "rwx" permissions to it.
I don't know any more about 1.5.0, but the 1.5.3 one works in
conjunction with the 1.5.3 kernel.

>These are the major problems, I have not been testing all commands yet, but
>these are the most important ones.

Better upgrade to 1.5.3 first.
I just retested all of the commands and found a few small flaws which
will be corrected in the next release of ast. Stay tuned.
All these problems are minor.

Good luck.
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcsun!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

jack@csmunix.larc.nasa.gov (Jack Dunn) (03/02/90)

I think the problem is with 1.5.0. If the compiler is working
ok, try to bring up 1.5.3.

I have several problems with 1.5.0 and am making the upgrade
in hops to get rid of the sig=11 problem. I know the ls and more
did function as you describe before I moad some of the posted
"fixes" to the library. I can not say, since I have not completed the
upgrade to 1.5.3, that the 1.5.3 commands will work.

You can test the kernel by runnibg the test programs. The 1.5.0
test will not work without modification. You can use the orginal
ST 1.1 code for the test that does not work, test #6 I think.

Hopes this helps.

Jack Dunn

kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) (03/03/90)

In article <2558@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> frankb@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) writes:
>3. "mkdir" doesn't work,
>	it complains: "<directory>: cannot create"
>	even if your are the owner of the current the directory
>	and have "rwx" permissions to it.

Does mkdir work when you're logged in as root?

The mknod() function can only make a directory if you are root, reguardless of
the permissions of the parent directory.  To work around this limitation,
mkdir must be owned by root and have the "set user id" bit turned on.

	# chown root /bin/mkdir
	# chmod 4755 /bin/mkdir
Steve Kirkendall,   kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu,   uunet!tektronix!psueea!jove!kirkenda
                      My favorite word is "flabbergast"

frankb@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) (03/05/90)

In article <1186@prles2.prl.philips.nl> meulenbr@cstw68.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:

>In article <2558@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> frankb@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) writes:
<some stuff deleted>
>Better upgrade to 1.5.3 first.
>I just retested all of the commands and found a few small flaws which
>will be corrected in the next release of ast. Stay tuned.
>All these problems are minor.

This weekend I upgraded to 1.5.3 (Thanks to Frans Meulenbroek for the good
advise) and almost all problems have been solved now,
but I have another (I mean a new one) problem with mkdir:

mkdir is a setuid-program and when user "bin" did a "mkdir a" then the owner
of the new directory "a" was "root" instead of "bin".
After I did a "chmod 755 mkdir", this problem did not occur,
isn't this a bit strange ????

Thanks in advance,

		Frank Breure.

stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ken Stailey) (03/05/90)

In article <2564@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> frankb@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) writes:
>In article <1186@prles2.prl.philips.nl> meulenbr@cstw68.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:
><some stuff deleted>
<more stuff deleted>
>mkdir is a setuid-program and when user "bin" did a "mkdir a" then the owner
>of the new directory "a" was "root" instead of "bin".
>After I did a "chmod 755 mkdir", this problem did not occur,
>isn't this a bit strange ????
The old version of mkdir(1) used to call mknod(2), but in 1.5.3 mkdir(1) is
an interface to a new mkdir(2) system call.  You should not setuid mkdir(1)
anymore.  The system call approach is a POSIX requirement.  The old way
is prone to race conditions, causes a lot of damage if a crash happens,
and is a security problem.

INET stailey@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
UUCP {backbone}!dftsrv!iris613!stailey