[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5.3 and a PS/2 model 30

phil@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Phil Nelson) (03/07/90)

I have tried to get 1.5.3 working on a PS/2 model 30.  I did have 1.3c (1.4)
working on those machines.  I am able to get it to a login prompt but
once minix is started, the keyboard appears to ignored.  In looking at
menu.c, I noticed that the commands "=", "u", and "d" appear to do
the same thing.

Here are my questions:

  Is 1.5.3 able to figure out what keyboard is in use?

  If not, how should the "command" (=,u,d) cause the proper things to
  happen?

  Or does 1.5.3 not have support for the keyboards of the PS/2?

Does any one know the answers?

--Phil

Phil Nelson, phil@unicorn.wwu.edu

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/07/90)

In article <578@unicorn.WWU.EDU> phil@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Phil Nelson) writes:
>I have tried to get 1.5.3 working on a PS/2 model 30.  I did have 1.3c (1.4)
>working on those machines.  I am able to get it to a login prompt but
>once minix is started, the keyboard appears to ignored.  In looking at
>menu.c, I noticed that the commands "=", "u", and "d" appear to do
>the same thing.

I may well have blown it when I hacked up menu.c.  Since I only have a
plain vanilla 84-kye keyboard, I can't test it.  If anyone knowledgeable
in exotic keyboards could figure this out, please let me know by email
(and post it as well).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)