[net.unix-wizards] TEX, Metafont

mullen@NRL-CSS@sri-unix (07/20/82)

Date: 24 Jun 1982 18:02:30-EDT
I would appreciate any information on implementations of
Knuth's TEX and Metafont for Unix.

greep@RAND-UNIX@sri-unix (08/08/82)

Date: Tuesday, 20 Jul 1982 17:40-PDT
There is a Pascal version of TEX that runs on 4.1bsd but doesn't seem to
work very well.  I wrote a program to convert its output format to print
on a Varian-Benson (similar to a Versatek).  I think the person in charge is
IAZ@SAIL.  I don't know about Metafont.

CSD.NOWICKI@SU-SCORE@sri-unix (08/09/82)

From: Bill Nowicki <CSD.NOWICKI@SU-SCORE>
Date: 22 Jul 1982 1202-PDT
I would appreciate any information on implementations of
	Knuth's TEX and Metafont for Unix.

Contact Robert Morris (RAM@MIT-MC) for information on the old
Pascal version of TEX.  Metafont is written in Sail, which only
runs on 10s and 20s.  However, we (Stanford) are currently
bringing up a new TEX-82 written in a language called WEB,
which can be passed through a preprocessor to get C.
This should lead to a more effecient version.  The current one
is incredibly slow, even on a large Vax-11/780.

	-- Bill
-------

HOLSTEGE@Cit-20@sri-unix (08/20/82)

Date:  9 Aug 1982 1503-PDT
At Caltech, we have a version of TEX running. It is written in Pascal
and we have a device driver for a Versatec. The person to contact is

	Cal Jackson
	(CALVIN @ CIT-20)
	(ucbvax!cithep!citcsv!calvin)
-------