[comp.os.minix] stupid disk question

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (03/11/90)

This is not a stupid question; I am stupid for acting before getting an
answer to it.

Will a Seagate 4096 80 Mbyte hard drive with a Western Digital WD1003
MFM controller work on an AT system?  Can you use the high end of the
disk (above 65k)?  Can you use both DOS and Minix partitions; and can
minix recognize it's own partition when mounting the hard disk?

Ken Hendrickson N8DGN        kjh@usc.edu        ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce Evans) (03/14/90)

In article <23396@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>Will a Seagate 4096 80 Mbyte hard drive with a Western Digital WD1003
>MFM controller work on an AT system?  Can you use the high end of the
>disk (above 65k)?

I have an 80M Microscience drive (better?) and an NCL controller (worse?).
These work fine.

The Minix partition should work anywhere on the disk. In 1.5.5 64M partitions
should work. Mine is at the high end of the 80M and even crosses the 1024-
cylinder boundary.
--
Please reply to the address in this .signature and not the one in the header.

Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.oz.au