[comp.os.minix] compuserve gateway ??

meulenbr@cstw68.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (03/13/90)

Hi!

I'm puzzled.
I'm receiving messages from compuserve.com!postmaster that my message
could not be delivered (mail delivery failure, no room in mailbox)
I've posted these messages on UseNet, so I was highly surprised to get
this response.

Does this mean that there is some kind of gateway between comp.os.minix
and compuserve??
If not, what does this reply mean.
If yes, I'm not sure if I'm happy with this.
I don't remember that such a gateway was ever discussed. How long is it
operational??

A gateway also drags in some legal problems:
For instance my ST 1.1 to ST 1.5.0 upgrade contains the following notice:
"This upgrade kit carries a compilation copyright as far as the various
 source files concerns. This document is copyrighted by F. Meulenbroeks,
 1989. Everyone is granted permission to redistribute both the upgrade
 kit and this document freely. However, it is explicitly forbidden to
 make money from this in any way. "
A gateway to a commercial system would surely violate this notice.

Can someone shed a light on this?

By the way: I have the impression that the compuserve gateway could be
through the bitnet mailing list, and not directly from usenet.

Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcsun!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (03/14/90)

In article <1231@prles2.prl.philips.nl> meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl () writes:
>I'm receiving messages from compuserve.com!postmaster that my message
>could not be delivered (mail delivery failure, no room in mailbox)
>I've posted these messages on UseNet, so I was highly surprised to get
>this response.

comp.os.mininix is gatewayed bidirectionally to the internet mailing list
info-minix@udel.edu (I'm the list maintainer).  From there, it goes to
minix-l@vm1.nodak.edu (aka ndsuvm1) for Bitnet redistribution.  Actually,
all distribution is done from ndsuvm1 because that's where I am.

There are a few subscribers to that list on Compuserve.  Compuserve has had
a mail gateway to the internet via Ohio-State for quite some time now (maybe
a year).  There is no gatewaying between any Compuserve forums and the
newsgroup (I've never looked at setting this up; I don't think Compuserve
would let it be bidirectional).

The reason you got the rejections instead of the list maintenance address is
because Compuserve's mailer is busted.  Forward one of them on to me and
I'll scream at them (I've seen them before)

The reply clearly says that that subscriber's mailbox size has been maxed
out and your posting was tossed.  His loss (and yours for having to deal
with the reject mail).

>A gateway also drags in some legal problems:
>For instance my ST 1.1 to ST 1.5.0 upgrade contains the following notice:
>"This upgrade kit carries a compilation copyright as far as the various
> source files concerns. This document is copyrighted by F. Meulenbroeks,
> 1989. Everyone is granted permission to redistribute both the upgrade
> kit and this document freely. However, it is explicitly forbidden to
> make money from this in any way. "

>A gateway to a commercial system would surely violate this notice.

what about public-access Usenet sites, like Portal, Well, and so on (there's
about 75 of them)?  Some of them ask money for access to their machine.  And
then there's UUNET, who charges for uucp access to their machine.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (03/14/90)

In article <1231@prles2.prl.philips.nl> meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl () writes:
>I'm receiving messages from compuserve.com!postmaster that my message
>could not be delivered (mail delivery failure, no room in mailbox)
>I've posted these messages on UseNet, so I was highly surprised to get
>this response.
>
>Does this mean that there is some kind of gateway between comp.os.minix
>and compuserve??

Well, Compuserve does have a mail gateway to the Internet.  Looks like
someone on Compuserve has subscribed to info-minix.

Compuserve is not on Usenet in the sense of Usenet newsgroups appearing as
Compuserve groups.

>A gateway also drags in some legal problems:
>For instance my ST 1.1 to ST 1.5.0 upgrade contains the following notice:
>"This upgrade kit carries a compilation copyright as far as the various
> source files concerns. This document is copyrighted by F. Meulenbroeks,
> 1989. Everyone is granted permission to redistribute both the upgrade
> kit and this document freely. However, it is explicitly forbidden to
> make money from this in any way. "
>A gateway to a commercial system would surely violate this notice.

C'mon.  What exactly do you mean by this notice?  Uunet charges people for
news connections, and there are many "public access" sites connected to
Usenet that charge people for connect time.  In this sense many people are
"making money" from your postings.  I don't see how Compuserve (and The
Source, and Bix) are any different.  These places provide hardware and
connectivity for people who aren't lucky enough to work for a large company
or university that pays the $$$ for them.

Let's not discriminate against The Poorly Connected People.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group

meulenbr@cstw68.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (03/14/90)

Ok, Ok. got it.
I've no problems with public access Usenet systems or with uunet/portal
and whatever systems there are. Generally speaking I've not much
problems if my mail is gatewayed into another mail service, provided
that the gateway is bidirectional, and that people also can get back to
me.

I don't know exactly how things like CompuServe or Genie operate.
Maybe that caused the problem. If someone just subscribes to
comp.os.minix or one of the mailing lists and can send replies back
that's no problem with me.
What I do not like is that someone takes my stuff and makes $$ of it.

An example: I really dislike large clubs which have a large archive of
PD software, and will give you a copy for say $ 5,-- + shipping.
To me this means that someone is making money of my labour which I
don't like. To them a disk is maybe $ 1,--. Add another buck for the
copying and maintaining the archive and that's it to me.

There is *absolutely* no problem in passing any of my stuff around for
free.

I hope this is clear. I think I'm a little mislead. Sorry.
Since this discussion really does not belong here, and I initially
started it, I would suggest to close this topic.