[comp.os.minix] 1.5.0 upgrade problems

bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) (12/28/89)

I am trying to upgrade from a PH 1.3 distribution to 1.5.0.

So far, I have worked my way thru posting #28.

I have run into a couple of seeming problems.

Problem #1 - after putting /lib together from postings 11, 18-22
I find that I am misting some files which were listed in the
liborder list in posting #14.  The missing files are listed below,
and do not seem to be included in the library source in my 1.3
distribution.

Questions:  Where do I find the source for these files?
            Where do I put the source in the official directory tree?

My missing files are:

_dup.s not found
adi.s not found
and.s not found
blm.s not found
brksize.s not found
catchsig.s not found
cii.s not found
cmi4.s not found
cms.s not found
cmu4.s not found
com.s not found
csa2.s not found
csb2.s not found
cuu.s not found
dvi4.s not found
dvu4.s not found
exg.s not found
fakfp.s not found
fat.s not found
getutil.s not found
gto.s not found
iaar.s not found
ilar.s not found
inn.s not found
ior.s not found
isar.s not found
lar2.s not found
lfr6.s not found
lfr8.s not found
loi.s not found
mli4.s not found
mon.s not found
nop.s not found
rck.s not found
ret6.s not found
ret8.s not found
retarea.s not found
return.s not found
rmi4.s not found
rmu4.s not found
sar2.s not found
sbi.s not found
sendrec.s not found
set.s not found
setjmp.s not found
sti.s not found
stop.s not found
strhp.s not found
trp.s not found
unknown.s not found
vars.s not found
xor.s not found
unget.s not found
memmove.s not found
strcoll.s not found
strxfrm.s not found

Problem #2:  I ran into a roadblock with posting #22.  The shar file
went sour partway thru.  I used unshar on the file, and discovered
the problem when "patch console.c console.cdif" failed.

Apparently, my copy of posting #22 is bad.  Possibly others too.  I
don't know at this point.

My PH 1.3 distribution didn't include crc.c.  I've obtained it from
the posted commands but, having twiddled a posting to get a bare uue
file, I'm not sure whether a bad crc is due to bad twiddling or to
a problem in the file.  So, if uud works, I just press on and check
the crc of the decompressed, unshar'd, and possibly patch'd resulting
files.

It would be better to be able to do a check partway thru.  Could a
crc list for the .Z files and/or the shar files be posted?

BTW, the recently reposted "bulletproof uud.c" had a problem on my
system.  Apparently, sscanf in the P-H 1.3 distribution counts
literal strings as matched arguments, and uud.c expects them not to
be counted.  Below is a fix for this problem.

*** uud.c.orig	Wed Dec 27 13:12:23 1989
--- uud.c	Wed Dec 27 13:12:47 1989
***************
*** 196,202 ****
  			strcpy(dest, pos);
  		} else
  #else
! 		if(sscanf(buf,"begin%o%s", &mode, dest) != 2)
  #endif
  		{
  			format("uud: Missing filename in begin line.\n");

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (12/29/89)

In article <1989Dec27.201111.22343@chinet.chi.il.us> bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>Problem #1 - after putting /lib together from postings 11, 18-22
>I find that I am misting some files which were listed in the
>liborder list in posting #14.

The files you refer to are the run-time support for the C compiler.  You
don't get source for them (you might if you buy the C compiler sources, but
I expect they were hand-coded from the start).  Instead, extract them from
your existing library.  I put them in lib/NO_SOURCE.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  ncoverby@ndsuvax, overby@plains (Bitnet)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (12/31/89)

In article <1989Dec27.201111.22343@chinet.chi.il.us> bill@chinet.chi.il.us (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>I find that I am misting some files which were listed in the
>liborder list in posting #14.  The missing files are listed below,
>_dup.s not found
>adi.s not found
>and.s not found
etc

Most of these are compiler run time system files.  Just take them from
the 1.3 libc.a.  There was no source in the distribution.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

maurice@bruce.OZ (Maurice David Castro) (03/16/90)

I am currently setting up minix 1.5.0, and have run into a few small
problems: fsck catagorically refuses to create a file system containing
"..". This may in fact be a reflection of a problem in another  section
of the tools, but the end result is that 1.5.0 cannot create a file
system, doesn't recognize 1.3 file systems and hence doesn't boot.

Could someone please send me diffs for an upgrade from 1.3 (as distributed
by Prentice Hall) to 1.5.0. for the tools.

(I would have retrieved the lot myself from sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au;
 but they are currently undergoing a reorginization of their Minix
 archive)

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

		Maurice Castro.
maurice@bruce.cs.monash.oz        | 'first version 1.5.0 then 1.5.5 and
                                  |  then the world'

maurice@bruce.OZ (Maurice David Castro) (03/18/90)

As I mentioned in my previous plea for assistance:

> I am currently setting up minix 1.5.0, and have run into a few small
> problems: fsck catagorically refuses to create a file system containing
> "..". This may in fact be a reflection of a problem in another  section
> of the tools, but the end result is that 1.5.0 cannot create a file
> system, doesn't recognize 1.3 file systems and hence doesn't boot.

> Could someone please send me diffs for an upgrade from 1.3 (as distributed
> by Prentice Hall) to 1.5.0. for the tools.

Unfortunately I just realised that the return address had a slight problem
in it relating to a missing ".au" so anyone sending mail from overseas would
have been bounced, if this happend you have my appologies and I appreciate
the assistance, and could you please try again using the correct address.

Also, could anyone (and everyone) running an ftp accessable archive of minix
upgrades, news articles and other items of interest to this news group, in
AUSTRALIA please mail me their ftp address so that I may summerise the
holdings to this group.

maurice@bruce.cs.monash.oz.au     | 'first version 1.5.0 then 1.5.5 and