[comp.os.minix] Booting MINIX from a 720K 3.5 floppy

SYJXN%NASAGISS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jim Newell) (03/16/90)

  Has anyone tried to boot MINIX from a 3.5 in floppy, or does anyone
know how to make a boot disk on a 3.5 in floppy. I need to run it on
my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated

pcm@iwarp.intel.com (Phil Miller) (03/16/90)

In article <13990@nigel.udel.EDU> SYJXN%NASAGISS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jim Newell) writes:

>  Has anyone tried to boot MINIX from a 3.5 in floppy, or does anyone
>know how to make a boot disk on a 3.5 in floppy. I need to run it on
>my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Yes, I've successfully booted & run MINIX on a Zenith laptop computer.
I didn't do anything special to make it work, just made a boot disk (on
another machine), a root file system disk, and booted it up just fine.

I sort of made a point of doing this; for some reason, I got a perverse kick out
of running (something like) Unix on a computer while riding in a car between
Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington; maybe this is a first?

Phil
--
Phil Miller             iWarp Development Program
pcm@iwarp.intel.com     Intel Corporation

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar16.022933.11010@iwarp.intel.com> pcm@iwarp.intel.com
(Phil Miller) writes:

> Yes, I've successfully booted & run MINIX on a Zenith laptop computer.
> I didn't do anything special to make it work, just made a boot disk (on
> another machine), a root file system disk, and booted it up just fine.
>
> I sort of made a point of doing this; for some reason, I got a perverse
> kick out of running (something like) Unix on a computer while riding
> in a car between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington; maybe this
> is a first?

  Yea, we all know that, it's a perversity of the highest order to have
  to ride a car between Portland, OR and Seattle, WA... ;-))  but how
  about attempting another first -- that of burning a suitable subset of
  Minix into a ROM, and putting that, instead of the MSDOS, into, say,
  a Toshiba T1000SE?

  In fact:  can it be done at all, as far as the Toshiba/ Minix
  is concerned?

  Could Andy T. perhaps indicate what subset of commands, apart from
  the kernel, is it that one ought to select for such a minimum setup?

--Ian Feldman / ianf@nada.kth.se  ||  uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf / The "I had the
        bug narrowed down to a subrutine and then I lost all interest" hacker

aubrey@rpp386.cactus.org (Aubrey McIntosh) (03/17/90)

In article <13990@nigel.udel.EDU> SYJXN%NASAGISS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jim Newell) writes:

>  Has anyone tried to boot MINIX from a 3.5 in floppy, or does anyone
>know how to make a boot disk on a 3.5 in floppy. I need to run it on
>my laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I do this daily on my XT running 1.5.3.  I plugged a Toshiba drive in the
drive A (/dev/fd0) slot.  With 1.5.x, I just let the makefile do its thing,
no special action whatsoever.  I do have a special entries,
  /dev/350 to tell mkfs and such that there are 1440 blocks on the device.

I freely copy between the 360k on /fd1 and the 720 when I rebuild and feel
a need for backups (or restores :-) ).

Long ago, in 1.1, there were more details.  But I used the 3.5" drive as
a 360k floppy with no special action while I built up to the fix.

There is message traffic re difficulties with a 1.44 M floppy.  This would
require a special controller (hardware...$) in the xt environment, so I am
only speaking to the 720k drive.

--
Aubrey McIntosh  	"Find hungry samurai." -- The Old Man
1502 Devon Circle       comp.os.minix, comp.lang.modula2

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (03/18/90)

The process is simple, but you need a machine with both a 3.5" and 5.25" drive
to do it since Minix is distributed on 5.25" media.

My machine has a 5.25" DS/HD drive and a 3.5" DS/DD drive.  The 3.5" is access
accessed as /dev/at1.  When you go to build the kernel (with surprise, build)
you build it to /dev/at1, not /dev/at0 or /dev/fd0.  I swapped the cable
connections of drive A: and B: and viola, it worked.

A question for the net, could somebody please give me the list of what's on
each 5.25" DS/DD (PC distribution) in terms of files so I can make a 3.5"
master set of 1.3.  I have 1.3 on 5.25" on DS/HD (AT distribution).  Please
send the list in e-mail in some compressed uuencoded format to save space.

Thanks in advance.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/18/90)

In article <3149@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
>  Could Andy T. perhaps indicate what subset of commands, apart from
>  the kernel, is it that one ought to select for such a minimum setup?

I never took a course on Toshiba ROMs so I don't know what goes into them.
Sorry.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)