[comp.os.minix] ibm-1.5.5:build.c: what happened to the 0xAA55 problem?

cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) (03/15/90)

A while ago there was some discussion about the minix boot block and how
some BIOS's require the word `0xAA55' at the end of the boot block.

By memory, Bruce Evans solved the problem and determined a way to fix it.
Looking at 1.5.x no such fix was included. Has this change been overlooked
or is there some other reason for not including the correction?

						Andrew Cagney
						cagney@cs.ua.oz.au

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/18/90)

In article <759@augean.OZ> cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid) writes:
>A while ago there was some discussion about the minix boot block and how
>some BIOS's require the word `0xAA55' at the end of the boot block.

1. I'm back.
2. I think I missed this stuff.  What has to be done to 1.5.5 to keep these
   BIOSes happy?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

MAB01057%UFRJ.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Marcelo Amarante Ferreira Gomes) (03/19/90)

Hi !

    I'm relatively new to the list, but I've been "listening" to it for
a couple of months or so. The problem with the 0xAA55 is that some BIOSes
require a word containing such a value as the last word of the boot record.

    Since I'm not a Minix user, just a curious who intends to use it in
a near future, I don't know wether or not Minix's boot has it or not, but
if it doesn't, it should. This is the only thing missing, I guess.