[comp.os.minix] 1.5.5 upgrade question

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (03/07/90)

I started unpacking the 1.5.5 distribution that came over the net.  There
is a file IBM_00.uue, and an ibm_00.uue.  IBM_00.uue contains files associated
with the ~src/lib/ibm directory, but ibm_00.uue contains files that were
associated with ~src/commands.  Why -- is there a change in official directory
structure we need to know about.

AND ANOTHER THING -- I have somehow lost track of the assembly source files
for ~src/lib/ibm/*.s.  (PROBABLY WHEN THE 1.5.3 Makefile ERASED THEM!) Could
the kind Professor Tannenbaum please post these sources, or are they
Prentice Hall Property?

--

Kent Williams                  "We're One! All One! Exceptions Eternally?
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu   None! Absolutely None!" - Dr. Bronner's Soap

cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid,285,5585,3362395) (03/08/90)

From article <807@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, by williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams):
> I started unpacking the 1.5.5 distribution that came over the net.  There
> is a file IBM_00.uue, and an ibm_00.uue.  IBM_00.uue contains files associated
> with the ~src/lib/ibm directory, but ibm_00.uue contains files that were
> associated with ~src/commands.  Why -- is there a change in official directory
> structure we need to know about.

in "1.5.5 Introduction and crcs" <5914@star.cs.vu.nl> Andy Tanenbaum writes:
   These are the crcs of the collected files.  I am going to group them
   together to reduce the number of postings.  IBM is commands/ibm, to which
   some files have been moved.
mind you it is near the end of the message after all the crc's. Is this a case
of `Read The Nice Carefully Worded Introductory Upgrade Posting' :-)

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (03/08/90)

In article <748@augean.OZ> cagney@chook.ua.oz (Andrew Cagney - aka Noid,285,5585,3362395) writes:
>From article <807@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, by williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent
>Williams):
>>I started unpacking the 1.5.5 distribution that came over the net.  There
>>is a file IBM_00.uue, and an ibm_00.uue.  IBM_00.uue contains files
>>associated with the ~src/lib/ibm directory, but ibm_00.uue contains files
>>that were associated with ~src/commands.  Why -- is there a change in
>>official directory structure we need to know about.

Looks like lib/ibm is now lib/IBM, and stuff from usr/lib is in Lib.  Also,
some things from commands moved to commands/ibm.  I've resigned myself to
looking at the crc list carefully to find such moves (this isn't the first
time things have shuffled around!).

>in "1.5.5 Introduction and crcs" <5914@star.cs.vu.nl> Andy Tanenbaum writes:
>   These are the crcs of the collected files.  I am going to group them
>   together to reduce the number of postings.  IBM is commands/ibm, to which
>   some files have been moved.
>mind you it is near the end of the message after all the crc's. Is this a case
>of `Read The Nice Carefully Worded Introductory Upgrade Posting' :-)

Carefully Worded perhaps, but also Backwards: the IBM shar file (IBM_00)
contains lib/IBM files, and ibm_0[01] contain commands/ibm files.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group

michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Bloxham) (03/20/90)

I am starting to upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5.5 and have a simple question.

Can I:
      a. upgrade (patch) all files to 1.5.0 to 1.5.3 to 1.5.5 and then compile
         the library with the 1.3 compiler and library?
  or
      b. upgrade to 1.5.0 and compile a 1.5.0 library with the 1.5.0
         includes so that I then compile the 1.5.3 library with the
         1.5.0 libc.a and 1.5.3 includes, etc...

thanks in advance,
mike

ps. Anyone in Madison Wisconsin into MINIX?  Let's start an informal user
    group!

Michael L. Bloxham         | Real programmers don't comment their code.
michaelb@vms.macc.wisc.edu | If it was hard to write, it should be hard
michaelb@WISCMACC.bitnet   | to understand.