[comp.os.minix] max. # of users possible

mml@cbmvax.uucp (Mark Lacey) (03/20/90)

Hi!  I just ordered MINIX from P-H and I have a few questions about it.  My
main question has to do with having multiple users.  How many users could
be supported without a very large drop in performance?  I think I mentioned
on here once before that I was thinking about putting up a public access
system using MINIX.  Would this be feasable?  And if so, are programs like
'mail', 'uucp', 'rn' and such available?  I am a Comp. Sci. student and
would have not problem porting it, but it would be nice if someone else has
already done it, just to cut down on the amount of work I will have to do.
Thanks.
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark M. Lacey                         | Q) Why is TV called a "medium"?
mml@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us             | A) Because it's never rare or well done.
                                      |     - Fred Allen
                                    -----
  "One cannot simultaneously prepare for and prevent a war." - Albert Einstein
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (03/23/90)

uunet!mailrus!umich!itivax!m-net!mml@cbmvax.uucp (Mark Lacey) writes:

>Hi!  I just ordered MINIX from P-H and I have a few questions about it.  My
>main question has to do with having multiple users.  How many users could
>be supported without a very large drop in performance?

I think the single-threading in the filesystem is the biggest
bottleneck for multiple users.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company (sm)]
drd@siia.mv.com -or- uunet!siia!drd