[comp.os.minix] Fixes and Update Patches...

wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Richard Todd Wall) (03/26/90)

     When AST posts the update files for Minix, and then other users who
apply the fixes and find errors in the update code post their fixes, does
the next set of update patches (i.e. 1.5.3 to 1.5.5) assume you have
already applied each of the little fixes that were posted by various users.
Or does it assume you haven't done anything to the original code and the
patch file looks for the previous errors and fixes it????
     I know this may be a stupid question, but I need to know if I should
save every little fix file that comes along....
     Thanks.........

o o ______           _     _____  _  _ o o          mcnc!bacchus!beretta!todd
' '   /       /   / ' )   /      // // ' '    or    wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu
     / ______/ __/   / / / __.  // //
   _/ (_) (_/_(_/_  (_(_/ (_/|_</_</_               Durham, North Carolina

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar26.145023.26314@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Richard Todd Wall) writes:

>     When AST posts the update files for Minix, and then other users who
>apply the fixes and find errors in the update code post their fixes, does
>the next set of update patches (i.e. 1.5.3 to 1.5.5) assume you have
>already applied each of the little fixes that were posted by various users.
>Or does it assume you haven't done anything to the original code and the
>patch file looks for the previous errors and fixes it????
>o o ______           _     _____  _  _ o o          mcnc!bacchus!beretta!todd
>' '   /       /   / ' )   /      // // ' '    or    wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu

No , the `official update' should not assume that you have aplied ANY fixes.
At least this is my opinion about the subject.

How could the next update know what you did if:
 - there were several `net fixes' for the same problem.
 - you fixed it yourself (without posting).

It would cause (and probably has caused now and then) a lot of problems
for people who try hard to keep up with AST's version of MINIX.
(see the discussion under : upgrade problems)
| No more jokes they   |  Gert Kanis, ASW CBS SWP                 |
| take to much space.  |  Nixdorf Computer BV, Postbus 29         |
|----------------------|  4130 EA Vianen, Netherlands.            |
| I do not represent   |  E-mail :    ... nluug.nl!targon!gert    |
| anyone elses opinion.|  or {..uunet!mcsun!}hp4nl!targon!gert    |

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (03/29/90)

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) writes:

>No , the `official update' should not assume that you have aplied ANY fixes.
>At least this is my opinion about the subject.

My opinion entirely.

It is wrong to assume that everybody includes the fixes from the net in their
system. Often the recognized problems are fixed by the update anyhow. To
discontinue this praxis and assume that everybody applies the patches that
are distributed 'unofficially' would leave some people out in the cold.
Besides, there are often several patches for the same problem. How do you
decide which on best to incorporate?

Martin
Disclaimer: The above is entirely my opinion, nobody else has anything to
do with it.
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad