[comp.os.minix] Is tty1 missing in minix?

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (04/08/90)

luis@octopus.tds.kth.se (Luis Barriga) writes:
>I am trying to upgrade 1.2 to 1.3 to then upgrade to 1.5.X. I've got
>the patches d1.2-1.3.tar.Z from somwhere. Now is the problem:
>
>If I use kermit to transfer the files I suppose I have to use tty1.
>But, tty1 does not exist in /dev. I have tried to use tty0 but kermit
>refuses to connect giving "cannot get character" back to the local
>system, altthough kermit works OK under MS-DOS. But the kermit for
>MINIX does not.
>
>Can anybody out there explain in detail how to upgrade having the
>patches on a host?

Did you change the define in tty.c (I believe that's where it is) for the
number of tty's to two?  That sounds like it may solve your problem.

If not, did you do a mkdev /dev/tty1 c (I forget the major/minor device
numbers).

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */