[comp.os.minix] bugs in 1.5.5

sadgoggin@tiger.waterloo.edu (04/08/90)

BUGS:
"file" on a null file has a "Floating exception" and core dumps

If elvis or term crashs they are left in a mode (raw??) that
makes the terminal useless.

Some tasks that are going to the back ground (ie cron) leave no name in the
command column when F1 is pressed.

tset doesn't work (below is my ttytype file)
mx	tty0
hp	tty1
vt100 	tty2

ps doesn't work because it can't find the offset the get the info
from the kernel
IT would be a good idea the have a table in the kernel of locations of
important routines (a concept like a vector table) so that
ps and others (uptime, boot programs) can work from os revision to
revision.

NOTES:

It would be a good idea if term used "~." instead of "@" or "Ou" to
escape then it could be called "cu" and be nonsystem dependant

The more traditional man page system permits easier updating
and addition to entries(which is needed).

			Sean

sean@watcsc.waterloo.edu (my main site) 	1-519-746-6036

frankb@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Frank Breure) (04/09/90)

In article <23006@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sadgoggin@tiger.waterloo.edu writes:

>BUGS:
>"file" on a null file has a "Floating exception" and core dumps

>If elvis or term crashs they are left in a mode (raw??) that
>makes the terminal useless.

I think this isn't a bug, your terminal remains in raw mode when a program
crashes (you could call the program that crashes buggy, not the OS).
This problem appears on almost all UNIX-systems.

You should reset your terminal by typing
^J
stty default
^J
It's better to you use ^J instead of <RETURN> because this will not be
translated whenever your terminal is in the wrong mode.

>Some tasks that are going to the back ground (ie cron) leave no name in the
>command column when F1 is pressed.

This could mean that they are executed with wrong parameters
If you call execve( "commandname", argv, NULL ), with argv[0] != commandname
then the OS will not know the commandname.

>tset doesn't work (below is my ttytype file)
>mx	tty0
>hp	tty1
>vt100 	tty2

>ps doesn't work because it can't find the offset the get the info
>from the kernel
>IT would be a good idea the have a table in the kernel of locations of
>important routines (a concept like a vector table) so that
>ps and others (uptime, boot programs) can work from os revision to
>revision.

I don't have this problem, I think your ps is compiled wrong, or your kernel
is not in the right place (or unreadable).
Myself I did have problems to get ps working but that was my own misstake,
I had a PC-version a.out.h on my ST, this obviously doesn't work.

There is an option to ps (-U)( that will create a file in /etc with the
kernels namelist.

>NOTES:

>It would be a good idea if term used "~." instead of "@" or "Ou" to
>escape then it could be called "cu" and be nonsystem dependant

>The more traditional man page system permits easier updating
>and addition to entries(which is needed).

>			Sean

>sean@watcsc.waterloo.edu (my main site) 	1-519-746-6036

			Good Luck,

			Frank.