[comp.os.minix] TCP/IP and [Atari ST] Minix ???

HOWLEY@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca (Jose Dias) (04/07/90)

From:         Scott Yelich <scott@CS.ODU.EDU>

>>>Is there a package out there somewhere that implements tcp/ip,
>>>preferably through the serial port, and works under minix?  If not,
>>>hasn't anyone ever thought of this?
>>TCP/IP if I recall correctly is for ethernet boards.  Serial boards use
>>something known as SLIP (or Serial Line Internet Protocol).  TCP/IP is for
>>ethernet and I don't expect to see that until LONG after the ST has an
>>ethernet board available for it (if that ever happens).

>>You can try porting over some of the PD implementations of SLIP over
>>to the ST which may work, but I doubt if it can be done on the PC version
>>because of the memory restrictions for programs (64K code/data).
>
>I have SLIP for TOS... I was SLIP (or whatver) for Minix.

Could you post this?  Perhaps we could make it into SLIP for Dos or
SLIP of PC-Minix...

Jose Dias
(HOWLEY@VM.UTCS.UTORONTO.CA)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (04/08/90)

bambi@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (David J. Hughes) writes:
> In article <2079@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>
> [ Explanation of TCP/IP and SLIP being the same animal... ]
>
>I am not in the game of porting SLIP to Minix as neither I nor my
>University use it.  Maybe in the near future (who knows :-)

Ok, I made an error.  A semantical one based on what something is called.  So
shoot me.  I'm just posting this because I'm tired of logging on and getting
two messages saying the same thing you did.  And somebody please do shoot me,
my week hasn't been a good one.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */

njc@nsscb.UUCP (Neil Cherry) (04/09/90)

In article <2136@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>> [ Explanation of TCP/IP and SLIP being the same animal... ]
>two messages saying the same thing you did.  And somebody please do shoot me,

OK, BANG! you're dead, (or was that POW! I guess I'll just have to watch a
few batman reruns, Holy De ja vu!) ;}
NJC