[comp.os.minix] My continuing difficulties

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (04/11/90)

Here's my 'evergreen' problem list for minix.  I have 1.5.5 working, except
for these problems:

1. ls is broke, at least when I make it.
		I have ls.c that matches crc, and all my library files match CRC
		and still ls dumps core when you do an 'ls -l'.
		I STILL have a problem with a multiple definition of '_20' or '_21'
		with ctime.s, even after getting the supposedly latest compiler
		programs from bugs.nosc.mil.  No one else seems to have this problem,
		but it persists despite my best efforts.

		Can somebody send me a working ls binary, and tell me what I'm doing
		wrong?

2. Serial port doesn't work.  I try term and kermit, and they're both
		worthless in talking to my modem.  Term does a little better
		-- I can make the modem lights dance, and even get it to dial
		out, but I never see any data from the modem on my screen.
		This is with a standard serial card, a standard modem, and a
		25-pin straight through cable.

		SOMEONE is successfully using serial ports -- could they let
		me in on the secret?

3. Fdisk doesn't like my disk.  I have a CMI 30MB disk, which the BIOS
		sees as an IBM standard type 3.  If I use minix fdisk on it,
		it loses track of half my partition.  What I ended up doing is:
		1. Use Xenix Fdisk to set up the partition, and 2. Do a	minix
		mkfs on the Xenix partition. Once I do this, minix Fdisk
		refuses to mark it as a minix partition, complaining about the
		partition table being wrong. If anyone's interested in helping
		me, I'll mail them output from minix fdisk (raw partition
		table, etc) and they can see what they think.

4. No format program.  Bruce went to the trouble of adding it to the
		kernel, but I have seen no mention of how to use it or (gasp!)
		a format program.  Imagine this -- a format program that
		builds a bad track table that mkfs could use to map out bad
		blocks!

5. Has anyone else noticed that if you try and put a hd3 partition on
		your disk, and it has bad blocks in it, that the root fs load
		gets garbled up?  I don't even pretend to know how to fix
		this!

--
Kent Williams                    'Look, I can understand "teenage mutant ninja
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu    turtles", but I can't understand "mutually

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (04/11/90)

In article <1205@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
>Here's my 'evergreen' problem list for minix.  I have 1.5.5 working, except
>for these problems:
>
>1. ls is broke, at least when I make it.
does your system fully CRC check?

did you rebuild (and install) the library first?

>2. Serial port doesn't work.  I try term and kermit, and they're both

As distributed, Minix requires modem control.

try changing /usr/include/minix/config.h so that rs232.c doesn't use modem
control.  that worked for me.

>3. Fdisk doesn't like my disk.  I have a CMI 30MB disk, which the BIOS

do you set the number of heads (-h) and number of sectors / track when you
run fdisk?

>4. No format program.  Bruce went to the trouble of adding it to the

use dos.

>               kernel, but I have seen no mention of how to use it or (gasp!)
>               a format program.  Imagine this -- a format program that
>               builds a bad track table that mkfs could use to map out bad
>               blocks!

Sorry, That's illegal. Inteligence in the PC world is strictly NOT allowed :-)

>5. Has anyone else noticed that if you try and put a hd3 partition on
>               your disk, and it has bad blocks in it, that the root fs load
>               gets garbled up?  I don't even pretend to know how to fix
>               this!

to be expected, since the partition is scraped raw into memory.  try movin
the disk areas you use for hd3; if necessary, you can set the image device
with 'i' from the boot menu.

--
                Glen Overby     <overby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)