[comp.os.minix] Can't compile anything.

wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Richard Todd Wall) (04/13/90)

     I have Minix Version 1.5.5 to boot from the boot disk and it mounts
everything just fine.  However, I can't get anything to compile.  Not the
new sh, make, more, anything.  Everytime I do it says Out of Memory.
cem cannot execute.  And tells me to either use the -F switch or reduce it's
stack size.  Well, I've done both.  And nothing works...  What's the deal??
Does 1.5.6 fix this problem???

     P.S.  I'm running on an 640K xt clone.

o o ______           _     _____  _  _ o o          mcnc!bacchus!beretta!todd
' '   /       /   / ' )   /      // // ' '    or    wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu
     / ______/ __/   / / / __.  // //
   _/ (_) (_/_(_/_  (_(_/ (_/|_</_</_               Durham, North Carolina

tholo@barsoom.nhh.no (Thorsten Lockert) (04/13/90)

wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Richard Todd Wall) writes:
>     I have Minix Version 1.5.5 to boot from the boot disk and it mounts
>everything just fine.  However, I can't get anything to compile.  Not the
>new sh, make, more, anything.  Everytime I do it says Out of Memory.
>cem cannot execute.  And tells me to either use the -F switch or reduce it's
>stack size.  Well, I've done both.  And nothing works...  What's the deal??

Try reducing the size of your RAM-disk, that might help...  If not, try
giving /usr/bin/asld LOTS of room to play with...  Try saying
chmem =60000 /usr/bin/asld and see if that helps...  Be advised that you
won't be able to link kermit though, asld runs out of memory on that one.

We really should have the assembler and linker in seperate passes, and in
the meantime it would've been nice if asld was linked with seperate I&D,
that would buy us another 14 Kb of stack/heap space...

Thorsten

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/13/90)

In article <786@barsoom.nhh.no> tholo@barsoom.nhh.no (Thorsten Lockert) writes:
>We really should have the assembler and linker in seperate passes, and in
>the meantime it would've been nice if asld was linked with seperate I&D,
It has been separate I & D since at least 1.3.  That is still not enough to
link elvis or kermit.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)