[comp.os.minix] Problem with Minix 1.5.6

nick_andrew@f602.n713.fido.oz (Nick Andrew) (04/26/90)

G'day.
        I'm having an occasional problem with Minix 1.5.6.

Specifically, sometimes when I do a pipeline from the shell,
a command in the middle of the pipeline is "not found" even
though it is in the PATH. For example,

find fs -type f -print | sort | crc >fs.crc

I put the above command inside a loop, and occasionally the
shell replies with:
sort: not found

        2nd problem - who, when given a filename argument,
should format the contents of /usr/adm/wtmp.

        3rd problem - du does not include in its count of
blocks a count of indirect blocks used by a file. This is
needed when copying files to floppy when space is tight. I
fixed this problem with a posted version of du(1) but it
doesn't seem to have been included (my previous version,
which allowed depth limiting, was).

        4th problem - backup(1) executes itself recursively,
so it will fail if directories are nested more than a
certain number of levels. If it is not chmem'ed, then backup
may fail on as few as 4 levels deep. Its method of changing
floppies is clumsy. And it does not attempt to keep the
contents of a directory on one floppy disk (i.e. directories
are spanning disks all the time). I would like to rewrite
this program.

Other than those few hiccups, Minix 1.5.6 is going really
well ... Congratulations Andy and Bruce and others for your
work in pulling it all together. I'm now looking forward to
1.5.7, 1.5.8, 1.5.9, and finally 1.6.0.

Reply to: nick@ultima.cs.uts.oz.au (Nick Andrew)
--- Zeta
 * Origin: Zeta: Unix, Minix, Xenix support (02) 627-4177 (3:713/602)