[comp.os.minix] 'xxx: not found' when running xxx

eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) (05/06/90)

Hello everybody

I have 1.5.9 going fine, but when I try to run a program from its own dir, I get
'not found'. e.g., trying to run 'build' when I am in the 'tools' gets
'build: not found'. If I try './build ...' then it works.

I added my '/usr/local' to the PATH, is there a possibility that if there is
a problem when scanning the PATH then the program will not be found? I think
that the current dir is scanned first, right?

--
Regards
	Eyal

ross@cancol.oz (Ross Johnson) (05/06/90)

> Reply to Eyal Lebedinsky's ./xxx runs, xxx doesn't query.

Eyal,
	You must tell it to check the current directory via your path.

From sh(1) on any Unix system:

"The current directory is specified by a null path name, which can appear
immediately after the equal sign (PATH=:...) or between the colon delimiters
(...::...) anywhere else in the path list."

If you already have this then there's a bug.

	Ross

vlstemen@uokmax.uucp (Vincent Lyle Stemen) (05/06/90)

In article <371@cancol.oz> eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) writes:

>I have 1.5.9 going fine, but when I try to run a program from its own dir, I get
>'not found'. e.g., trying to run 'build' when I am in the 'tools' gets
>'build: not found'. If I try './build ...' then it works.
>
>I added my '/usr/local' to the PATH, is there a possibility that if there is
>a problem when scanning the PATH then the program will not be found? I think
>that the current dir is scanned first, right?

The earlier versions of Minix searched the current working directory for
commands automatically without having to specify it in the path.  I
believe this inherent to version 7 UNIX .  Although I have not yet run
Minix 1.5, it sounds like Minix has been changed to be more like system 5
UNIX in this respect.  Try adding '.' to your PATH list.
Example:
	  PATH=.:/bin    should search current working directory and
                     then search /bin.

--
--------
MSDOS --> MicroShafts Distribution Of S...