[comp.os.minix] tools/menu -whats the story?

eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) (05/06/90)

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to cross compile minix using microsoft C. All commands (as
many as I checked) seem to work but I cannot 'build'. I narrowed the field
to menu and kernel. I am now conctrating on menu, and it seems very odd.

On the surface it looks as if this (menu.c+menu1.s) is a simple interrogation
program, but if contains a lot of unused stuff: brk, initvarv(), get_partition()
read_partition() and maybe more. It this program halfway through beeing changed,
or do I have an odd version (I am on 1.5.9 and CRCs look ok) or is this all some
forgotten leftovers from the middle ages?

--
Regards
	Eyal

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/07/90)

In article <369@cancol.oz> eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) writes:
>On the surface it looks as if this (menu.c+menu1.s) is a simple interrogation
>program, but if contains a lot of unused stuff: brk, initvarv(), get_partition()
>read_partition() and maybe more. It this program halfway through beeing changed,

Sort of.  It used to do file system checking, make empty file systems and
other junk.  It is in the process of being reduced.  If you want to remove
all the unnecessary junk, post a cdiff and I'll probably adopt it eventually
if it works.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)