[comp.os.minix] 'xxx':not found - now I know.

eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) (05/07/90)

Hello everyone,

I got a few replies which pointed me to the missing ':' at the start
of my PATH. My PATH now says ":/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local" and all is fine.

Thanks.
--
Regards
	Eyal

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (05/08/90)

In article <375@cancol.oz> eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) writes:
>I got a few replies which pointed me to the missing ':' at the start
>of my PATH. My PATH now says ":/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local" and all is fine.

The preceding ":" puts the current directory at the beginning of your search
path.

On a personal system I guess this doesn't make much difference, but having
the current directory at the beginning of your search path makes you a prime
candidate for being bitten by a trojan horse.  I'm a member of the club that
says root should NEVER have the current directory in it's search path, and I
keep "." at the END of my search path on anything multi-user (as I do on
Minix, too).

--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce.Evans) (05/08/90)

In article <375@cancol.oz> eyal@cancol.oz (Eyal Lebedinsky) writes:
>I got a few replies which pointed me to the missing ':' at the start
>of my PATH. My PATH now says ":/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local" and all is fine.

Having the current directory in the path is not good, especially when it
is first. It will pick up random executables depending on what is in the
current directory.

The tools makefile is at fault for having 'build' instead of './build'.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@ditsyda.syd.dit.csiro.au