Have fun, folks!  Vaya con dios!!

dinda@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter A. Dinda - MIC@MACC - 608/263/7744) (05/09/90)

In article <18583@nigel.udel.EDU>, V2057A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Juan Jose Noyles) writes...

>Coherent is:
>
>         debugged
>         complete (cc, lex, yacc, etc...)
>         $99.95 (plus tax, I guess) until 7/31
>

>Minix is....an academic exercise.

     One further note:  Coherent runs in the protected mode on 286 and 386
based machines!   And Coherent's cc supports the protected mode seamlessly
according to Mark Williams!  Finally Coherent, when installed on any
hard disk with more than 10 megabytes free will rebuild the partition
table in such a way as to not destroy your DOS partition - merely make it
smaller by 10 megs plus whatever more space you want to give it!  This seems
like an impressive product.  Has anyone purchased and tried it yet?

+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+
: Peter A. Dinda              : Microcomputer Information Center at   :
: dinda@VMS.macc.wisc.edu <*> : Madison Academic Computing Center     :
: dinda@jomby.cs.wisc.edu     : 1210 W Dayton St., 1150A, 3121, 1106A :
: MIC@MACC BBS => 608 263 6057: Madison, WI 53706                     :
: "Apple: Business by Lawsuit": 608 263 7744                          :
+-----------------------------+---------------------------------------+

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/09/90)

dinda@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter A. Dinda - MIC@MACC - 608/263/7744) writes:
>In article <18583@nigel.udel.EDU>, V2057A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Juan Jose Noyles) writes...
>
>>Coherent is:
>>
>>         debugged
>>         complete (cc, lex, yacc, etc...)
>>         $99.95 (plus tax, I guess) until 7/31
>>
>>Minix is....an academic exercise.
>>
>     One further note:  Coherent runs in the protected mode on 286 and 386
>based machines!   And Coherent's cc supports the protected mode seamlessly
>according to Mark Williams!  Finally Coherent, when installed on any
>hard disk with more than 10 megabytes free will rebuild the partition
>table in such a way as to not destroy your DOS partition - merely make it
>smaller by 10 megs plus whatever more space you want to give it!  This seems
>like an impressive product.  Has anyone purchased and tried it yet?

I've used the 8086 version of Coherent and it was impressive.  I'm going to
order the current version as advertised for $99.95 within the next month
during MWC price promotion.  I figure I paid just as much for Minix and P-H
sent me the wrong version...at least by ordering Coherent I get a 60 day
guarantee plus something that (hopefully) works.  I'm going to try it and see
how well it works.  What I'm wondering is how easy it is to add device
drivers to the kernel.  I'm going to first stick it on my 386SX which
currently is running SCO Xenix 386 and give it 10 Mb and see how well it runs,
if it runs well, I'll put together another 386SX for it or a 286 box to run
just Coherent.

Until Minix gets more up to par with the current implementations of Unix
(especially Coherent and I'm sure the 286 version will be impressive
considering the 8086 version impressed me), it will be just an academic toy in
my eyes.  Give me 386 protected mode with virtual memory.  Show them students
what a real operating system is like with demand paging and memory protection.

The 386 is Intel's first generation Unix CPU, and I would love to see Minix
take advantage of it.  All of the people here on the net who have worked on
Minix combined are probably bigger in number than MWC's software engineering
staff and we barely have a 286 version of Minix.  Evans did a good job alone,
but if we want Minix 386 to become a reality, we need a group working on this.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Xenix is the ONLY thing
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Microsoft did right.
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */