[comp.os.minix] 68070 chip.

hase@hase_2.mbx.sub.org (Hartmut Semken) (05/04/90)

In article <Apr.30.22.24.31.1990.25563@paul.rutgers.edu> jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) writes:
> The 68070 is a high integration chip put out by Signetics (Philips).  It
> has: a 68000, MMU, a serial port, and a few other things.

True, but make that a 68010 and the "MMU" is called BMAC (Basic Memory
Access Controller), cause it is not really comparable to the 851 PMMU or
the like (but still: once upon a time there was an Altos machine running
Unix, suppoting up to 16 users and the work was done by a segmentation
MMU and a 68000... :-)

hase
--
Hartmut Semken hase@hase_2 (home)
hase_2 in der Testphase

mk59200@etana.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (05/09/90)

From article <5452562@hase_2.mbx.sub.org>, by hase@hase_2.mbx.sub.org (Hartmut Semken):
> In article <Apr.30.22.24.31.1990.25563@paul.rutgers.edu> jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) writes:
>> The 68070 is a high integration chip put out by Signetics (Philips).  It
>> has: a 68000, MMU, a serial port, and a few other things.
>
> True, but make that a 68010 and the "MMU" is called BMAC (Basic Memory

No, the CPU core is more like a 68000, there is no VBR register, and
it hasn't the 68010 instructions (like RTD).  The exception stack frames
have two formats: short frames are similar to 68010 $0 frames and
long frames (format $F) are unique to 68070.

> Access Controller), cause it is not really comparable to the 851 PMMU or
> the like (but still: once upon a time there was an Altos machine running
> Unix, suppoting up to 16 users and the work was done by a segmentation
> MMU and a 68000... :-)

Well, I have the "16/32-Bit Highly-integrated Microprocessor SC68070
User Manual Part 1 - Hardware" here in front of me, and it really calls
the "MMU" MMU.  It's compatible with some pre-68851 Signetics chip.
I think you could implement a reasonable virtual memory system with it
(at least as good as with a 80286).

The on-chip two channel DMA controller is software compatible with
684[345]0 devices.

> --
> Hartmut Semken hase@hase_2 (home)
> hase_2 in der Testphase
> Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67 1000 Berlin 37, Germany
> "Sounds aweful" (Marvin, the paranoid android)

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi