[comp.os.minix] uudecode -b16

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/05/90)

	Could someone please post a version of compress that can do 16 bit
uncompress that runs under Minix or explain how it can be built on a PC. I
have MS-C V1.5 and tried to look at the code some today. The V1.3 -> V1.5.9
upgrade kit from archive-server has its files compressed -b16 which can't be
undone in minix. This is a bit of a problem for some of us so if there is some
prog that can uncompress the files that runs on minix itself, that would be
nice.

				Thanks

			Mike.Irons@Lynx.Northeastern.EDU

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (05/06/90)

In article <18598@nigel.udel.EDU> mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>have MS-C V1.5 and tried to look at the code some today. The V1.3 -> V1.5.9
>upgrade kit from archive-server has its files compressed -b16 which can't be
>undone in minix. This is a bit of a problem for some of us so if there is some

There is a 16-bit compress for PCs in comp.sources.misc.  I've never used
it, so don't take this as any sort of promise...

I have re-compressing ALL the files in Plains' ftp directory with -b13, so
the problem should be somewhat solved.  All the files are now a bit larger.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

klehr@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Thomas J. Klehr) (05/07/90)

I compiled compress.c with -DAZTECBITS=16, and it de-compressed a 16 bit
file fine.  However, when I ran it as compress, it dumped core.

Good luck.

Tom

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (05/08/90)

In article <18693@nigel.udel.EDU> klehr@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Thomas J. Klehr) writes:

>I compiled compress.c with -DAZTECBITS=16, and it de-compressed a 16 bit
>file fine.  However, when I ran it as compress, it dumped core.

I believe 16 bit compress needs 69K of data space and can't fit in the
64K limit that minix imposes.

Mike Ching

F35KER%DHHDESY3.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (05/09/90)

> Date:         Sat, 5 May 90 06:05:42 GMT
> From:         mike.irons@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU
> Subject:      uudecode -b16
>
> :Could someone please post a version of compress that can do 16 bit
> uncompress that runs under Minix or explain how it can be built on a   PC. I

There was a version of compress (version 4.3 I think) posted to
comp.os.minix about a year ago that could do 16 bit compression and
decompression on an ST with enough memory. I don't know who posted it,
but I can look it up.
I'm using this one to decompress files from other hosts but it has a
serious bug: when the size of the output file reaches 128000 bytes
(not 128 Kbytes!) it stops reporting a write error. This does however
not happen if you compress -dc >outfile . This is not a problem of
insufficiant stack or /tmp space and I have tracked it down to a failing
write(2) call. I first attributed it to a bug in the old ST 1.1 libc.a
but the problem persists with the 1.5.5 lib.
Has anybode else experienced this and fixed it? This version of compress
could be very useful at least on the ST, perhaps also on PCs.

Kerst van Raden
F35KER @ DHHDESY3   ( .BITNET :-(   )

Kevin Maguire <SA44%liverpool.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk> (05/10/90)

16bit compress needs oodles of memory. Well more than 64K. However,
you can easily decompress 16 bit stuff with less than 64K. I think.
Try what the other fella suggested of compiling the standard compress
with AZTECBITS=16 defined. Should work. If you still have hassle.
I've got the source (About 30K) for a MSDOS 16bit compress/decompressor.

Nsfnet : sa44%ibm.liv.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Uucp   : ...!mcvax!ukc!liv-ib!sa44