[comp.os.minix] WHERE TO GET ST 1.5.10 and other Minix Bits

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (05/26/90)

There has been a lot of traffic discussing how to get the ST updates.  I got
all the parts, and they are now in the archives on plains.nodak.edu,
specifically the directory {pub/}Minix/updates/st1.5.10, with files named

$ ls ~ftp/pub/Minix/updates/st1.5.10
:Fix		Part1		Part13		Part4		Part8
:Info1		Part10		Part14		Part5		Part9
:Postscript	Part11		Part2		Part6		mdbexp.c
Part0		Part12		Part3		Part7

I wasn't able to uudecode the files (I have no idea what Franz was doing
with those things).  Once I figure that out, I'll decode them into their .Z
counterparts (so if names change on you, that's why).

I do not have the latest bits (such as pc1.3-1.5.10) from the land of
adelaide.edu.oz (definately not Kansas) because I have not been able to hold
an FTP session to them for very long.  My "shadow" of their
"pub/minix/local" directory hasn't been kept up-to-date because of this and
apparently some software bugs.  And I thought nodak.edu was supposed to be
getting a faster, better link about now...

A couple comments on some recent traffic:
In article <20307@nigel.udel.EDU> archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) writes:
>Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043@DJUKFA11.BITNET> writes:
>>Perhaps G. Overby can put it into the archive by hand?
>If there are not in archive, he probably never saw them. I think a repost
>(maybe only to MINIX-L members, to save bandwidth) is in order.

Everything in my archive is put there by hand.  While I'm reading news, I
save the interesting stuff off to numerically sequenced files (in
pub/Minix/NEW) and periodically shuffle that directory into the more
organized directories.  I do try to keep up on things, but I'm human.

Since I always get a few people asking me how to use the archive, here's the
directions.

An archive of Minix upgrades and other interesting files are kept
in    a    manually-maintained    archive   on   Plains.NoDak.edu
[134.129.111.64].

This archive is accessible via anonymous ftp, as well as  with  a
mail server.

ANONYMOUS FTP

Our site accepts FTP logins with the  user  "anonymous"  and  any
password  (network  conventions generally say you should use your
login name, but that is not required).  This machine is also used
for   theoretically  useful  purposes,  such  as  mail,  classes,
research, reading news and playing games.  Thus, we ask that  you
limit  your usage of this to off-peak hours, (for us this is Mid-
night to 8 AM Central time (GMT -6), but we won't get mad if  you
push this a bit earlier in the evening) and weekends.

USING THE MAIL SERVER

For those not fortunate enough to be on the Internet  itself,  we
run the Clarkson server to process mail requests.  This is an ex-
tremely versatile program, that allows various  encoding  formats
(btoa,  uuencode), compression (compress, arc, zoo) and splitting
of large files.  The server has been customized to send HELP  and
Index  files  at  any time, and all other files between 23:00 and
08:00 local time.  If you submit a request  that  contains  *any*
file  that  is  not  a  Help or Index file, the entire request is
queued until late night (currently 23:00 local time, but that may
be  moved  to  earlier  hours of the morning if it proves to be a
large load on the system).

The addresses for the server are:
     archive-server@plains.nodak.edu
     {umn-cs, ogicse, uunet}!plains!archive-server (UUCP)
     fileserv@plains (Bitnet)

Note to Bitnet people: this server is  not  'logged  on'  to  the
machine,  so  you  cannot  send  it  interactive  messages.   The
'fileserv' alias was added for those of you who do  not  run  the
Croswell mailer, but you must still use something that is detect-
able as mail (such as a NOTE).  Bitnet files will drop  into  our
bit bucket, unprocessed, since there is no real user by either of
these names.

To obtain a list of the files, the INDEX command is used:

     index [ <directory> ]

where <directory> is a directory under our ~ftp/pub login  (empty
for  the main directory).  There are several other directories of
programs for Microcomputers, current volumes  for  comp.sources.*
and some of the Free Software Foundation's products.

The SEND command is used for having files sent to  you,  such  as
in:

     send Minix/doc/Info_Sheet

That file is a copy of  the  monthly  "Minix  Information  Sheet"
posting.   The  Minix Compatibility list is available in the file
"Minix/doc/Compatibility".

There are many more options  for  having  your  files  compressed
(note:  most files in these directories already have been), uuen-
coded, split, and so on.   To  obtain  more  information  on  the
server, send the command:

     help

and you will be enlightened.

The server accepts commands in mixed case, but all directory/file
names are case significant (just like Minix).

A cautionary note: this server is  somewhat  'probational';  that
is,  if  it  turns  out  to be a serious load on our CPU, mailer,
postmaster, and network links then it will be shut down (and then
your  only  alternative will again be that listserv thing over on
our IBM Iron Pig).  Use with moderation.

This    archive     is     maintained     by     Glen     Overby,
<minix@plains.nodak.edu>,  at North Dakota State University, Far-
go, ND USA (46 52 N / 96 48 W city)
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (05/28/90)

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) writes:
]There has been a lot of traffic discussing how to get the ST updates.  I got
]all the parts, and they are now in the archives on plains.nodak.edu,
]specifically the directory {pub/}Minix/updates/st1.5.10, with files named

]$ ls ~ftp/pub/Minix/updates/st1.5.10
]:Fix		Part1		Part13		Part4		Part8
]:Info1		Part10		Part14		Part5		Part9
]:Postscript	Part11		Part2		Part6		mdbexp.c
]Part0		Part12		Part3		Part7

O.k. people, here are the parts #1 and #10. If they didn't arrive at
bitnet someone repost them for bitnet only. I can't do that without
sending them to usenet as well.

]I wasn't able to uudecode the files (I have no idea what Franz was doing
It's "Frans". I'm not German, so no "z" please.
]with those things).  Once I figure that out, I'll decode them into their .Z
]counterparts (so if names change on you, that's why).

I ran uuencode on them. Actually I always use uud and uue.
These are the same programs as come with minix.
The versions I use on the SUN (on which I prepared the postings) are:
Almost foolproof uudecode v3.4 (unix) 25-Nov-88
Almost foolproof uuencode v3.1 06 Aug 1987
Glen, if you don't have these, and want a copy, just let me know.
I tried to uudecode a part without a problem.

The CRC's for my postings are after removing the news header and .signature etc:
(the file where you run CRC on should start with the word "table", and
should have the word "end" or "include" on the last line.)
57881  24525 CRC
30066  28860 Intro
28090  14535 Makefile.uaa
60623  10308 Makefiles.Z
61827  28350 bawk.Z
06849  39786 bawk.uaa
36859   4430 commands.Z
63175   6305 commands.uaa
56587 102713 elle-ast.Z
51227  62799 elle-ast.uaa
16839  62804 elle-ast.uab
28150  18536 elle-ast.uac
26647 137074 elvis.Z
42142  64368 elvis.uaa
60401  64373 elvis.uab
45973  63491 elvis.uac
23378   3008 etc.Z
06280   4308 etc.uaa
23423   6845 include.Z
42442   9686 include.uaa
36380   9144 kernel.Z
26904  12902 kernel.uaa
40976  10294 missing1
19921  23535 tools.Z
30432  33046 tools.uaa

You'll need to glue the .uaa, .uab and .uac files together if you use
another uudecode.
It seems that at least some people have been able to uudecode the stuff
correctly. If someone discovers what is wrong, let me know and I'll try
to avoid the problem next time...

[rest of message deleted]

Happy minixing,
--