[comp.os.minix] Help with compress and dosdir ...

luis@octopus.tds.kth.se (Luis Barriga) (05/29/90)

(It is hard to belive that MINIX is in 1.5.10 while still in the market
they sell 1.2. Poor guys who buy it. they will have much trouble
updating to 1.3)

Does anybody has had a problem after having updated to 1.3 with:

0) cannot build new OS image. A certain symbol "____clean" is not
defined and "_exit" is multiple defined

1) cannot compile compress.c. The preprocessor can not find the
include files stdio, etc,... although other programs succeded in
compilation. It seems that cpp gets confused after so many ifdef's

2) dosread crashes after execution with division overflow and trap
error.

3) Some programs generate interrrupts with different vertor numbers.

Now you guys out there who deal with 1.5.X. Can you tell me whether
you purchased 1.3 or upgraded 1.2->1.3. For me it is an endless
task to upgrade using the kit provided via ftp.

"Do not upgrade 1.2->1.3. Better purchase 1.3, unless you have enough
time.."
+     Luis Barriga               +   The Royal Institute of Technology  +
+                                +     Dep. Computer systems (TDS)      +
+                                +          P.O. Box 700 43             +
+   e-address: luis@tds.kth.se   +       S-100 44 Stockholm             +
+                                +              SWEDEN                  +

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (05/31/90)

In article <LUIS.90May29145648@molly.octopus.tds.kth.se>
	   luis@octopus.tds.kth.se (Luis Barriga) writes:
>(It is hard to belive that MINIX is in 1.5.10 while still in the market
>they sell 1.2. Poor guys who buy it. they will have much trouble
>updating to 1.3)
>
>"Do not upgrade 1.2->1.3. Better purchase 1.3, unless you have enough
>time.."
>--
>+     Luis Barriga               +   The Royal Institute of Technology  +

If you have enough time ... wait 3 or 4 months and buy 1.5  .

This is course time to wait and not time to spend :-)
| No quote here to     | Gert Kanis, SWP BS                        |
| save net-bandwidth.  | Nixdorf Computer BV, Postbus 29           |
|----------------------| 4130 EA Vianen, Netherlands.              |
| I do not represent   | E-mail:{smart-mailer!} gert@targon.uucp   |
| anyone elses opinion.|   or {..uunet!} hp4nl.nluug.nl!targon!gert|