[comp.os.minix] uucp posting..

dougm@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Doug Mcintyre) (05/28/90)

        Well, my newsfeed was down for about 5 days.. Could someone send me
the uucp posting? I must of just missed it, and can't get it from upstream..

Thank you..

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!dougm                Compuserve: 70611,2215
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!dougm@nosc.mil                        ALPE: DougMac
INET: dougm@pnet51.cts.com                                    GENIE: D.MCINTYRE1

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (05/30/90)

Well, I have built 2 versions of uucp, the one posted to the net, and the
one labeled uucp155.tar.Z from plains.nodak.edu.  I could not get the version
from the net to access my serial port, whereas the one from nodak could
(BTW, I am using Minix 1.5.10).  On the other hand, the version posted to
the net is closer to a "standard" uucp (in organization).  Also, if I type
the command

	dcp -r1 -x5 -ssysname

It will send packages from my system to system "sysname", but if something
is queued on sysname it will not switch over to SLAVE mode and receive them.
What am I doing wrong?

And has anyone gotten the one posted to the net to work under 1.5.10?

Thanks in advance.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!swamps!!frau!tvf *or*
...!uunet!atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)   WA2YYW

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (05/30/90)

In article <37455@cci632.UUCP> tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>It will send packages from my system to system "sysname", but if something
>is queued on sysname it will not switch over to SLAVE mode and receive them.
>What am I doing wrong?

I am the person responsible for the "uucp155" file on Plains.  I took Peter
Housel's uupc for v1.3 and made it work on 1.5.5; it only required changing
ioctl(2) calls and a few other small things.  The ioctl interface hasn't
changed significantly since then.  I recall sending mail both directions and
I think I sent files, too.

Check out the host you're connecting to; sites running HoneyDanBer UUCP are
quite paranoid.  If the system that is sending to you has a
/usr/lib/uucp/Systems (rather than a L.sys) file, then it's HDB.  You'll
have to change "Permissions" (in the uucp lib directory) for your system to
say something like

SENDFILES=yes

otherwise that system will only recieve files when you call; it will only
send when THEY call YOU.

I believe Fred vanKempen's uucp is derived from Peter's port, also, and runs
under 1.5.10.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (05/30/90)

Actually, I've sort-of "half" fixed the problem.  There was a line in
uucico.c from the Micro-Walt posting that read

	#if _MINIX

when it should have actually read

	#ifdef _MINIX

It was enough to get it to talk to my port.  Now all I have to do is get
it to set the baud rate properly.
--

bob@caswell.UUCP (Bob Caswell) (05/31/90)

> In article <37455@cci632.UUCP> tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
> >It will send packages from my system to system "sysname", but if something
> >is queued on sysname it will not switch over to SLAVE mode and receive them.
> >What am I doing wrong?
>
> I am the person responsible for the "uucp155" file on Plains.  I took Peter
> Housel's uupc for v1.3 and made it work on 1.5.5; it only required changing
> ioctl(2) calls and a few other small things.  The ioctl interface hasn't
> changed significantly since then.  I recall sending mail both directions and
> I think I sent files, too.
>
> Check out the host you're connecting to; sites running HoneyDanBer UUCP are
> quite paranoid.  If the system that is sending to you has a
> /usr/lib/uucp/Systems (rather than a L.sys) file, then it's HDB.  You'll
> have to change "Permissions".....

When I had something to send to an other system, I experienced the same
problem when using the uucp version posted to the net by Peter Housel last
year.
After detailed examination of the debug output I saw that:

 1) I was able to send all files that were queued to the other system.
 2) After receiving the *first* of many files that were to be sent to my
    system I found that "my" system always broke the connection.
    The connection was broken as part of the uucp protocol.. At the time
    I believed that there was a bug, but I couldn't find it.  Also,I did not
    have any documentation on how uucp was supposed to respond... and
    I did have a circumvention which was ....
 3) When I polled the other system again, (with nothing to send), I was always
    able to retrieve the balance of the files queued for my system.

You will note that I was always polling the other system to pick up my mail
and other files.  The other system NEVER would call me; so HDB uucp permissions
would never be a consideration in MY case.

---
R. Caswell & Associates Inc.          bob@caswell.uucp
Milton, Ontario              uucp: ...{utzoo,utai}!yunexus!sis!caswell!bob
Voice: +1-416-875-2895             ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!sis!caswell!bob