[comp.os.minix] Set UID patents

stata@hplabsb.HP.COM (Raymie Stata) (06/01/90)

I understand that the set UID idea is patented.  It doesn't seem that
Minix has a license for it.  I'm curious: did AT&T give its blessing
on this?

Regards,
  Raymie Stata

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/01/90)

In article <5755@hplabsb.HP.COM> stata%cello@hplabs.hp.com (Raymie Stata) writes:
>I understand that the set UID idea is patented.  It doesn't seem that
>Minix has a license for it.

Please, let's not start this discussion again.  We went through it
ad nauseum 3 years ago.  The patent has been dedicated (which is to say,
anyone may use it without paying royalties).

As an aside, how could you know if P-H has a license for it or not?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

In article <5755@hplabsb.HP.COM> stata%cello@hplabs.hp.com (Raymie Stata) writes:
>I understand that the set UID idea is patented.  It doesn't seem that
>Minix has a license for it.  I'm curious: did AT&T give its blessing
>on this?

Some years ago, AT&T "dedicated" the patent (I think that's the word),
throwing it open to all, no licensing required.
--
As a user I'll take speed over|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
features any day. -A.Tanenbaum| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu