[comp.os.minix] Minix Capabilities

olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com (Otto Miller) (05/31/90)

I have several questions on minix, here they are in no
particular order!

1).	I have a need for a computer that will primarily serve
	several modems (some may be syncronous?).  Is the tty
	driver in minix capable of this.  Also are there any
	drivers for any of those 4-8 multi-port boards on the
	net?

2).     Has anyone written a driver for any of the voice mail
	cards (I only know of PC cards to date... but I am sure
	there are others) like Watson, BigMouth etc.?

3). In the event that minix is not capable of doing this to
	date, does anyone have a recommended hardware and
	software solution to the above?

                                       Sincerely,
Reachable by:                          Otto L. Miller
olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com
- or -
olmiller@europa.asd.contel.com

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/01/90)

olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com (Otto Miller) writes:
>I have several questions on minix, here they are in no
>particular order!
>
>1).	I have a need for a computer that will primarily serve
>	several modems (some may be syncronous?).  Is the tty
>	driver in minix capable of this.  Also are there any
>	drivers for any of those 4-8 multi-port boards on the
>	net?

No.  In fact, the vendors of the major multiport boards (Digiboard, Equinox,
Computone, Anvil, etc.) supply a driver disk for Xenix 286/386, and the
System V/386 implementations of Unix.  If you want to bang the driver into
working with Minix, you can try.  The tty driver to my knowledge only supports
the standard serial ports that are accessible from DOS.

>2).     Has anyone written a driver for any of the voice mail
>	cards (I only know of PC cards to date... but I am sure
>	there are others) like Watson, BigMouth etc.?

I don't think such drivers even exist for Xenix/Unix.  I've asked the question
whether or not drivers and/or software for FAX boards exist, and I have yet to
get any responses.

>3). In the event that minix is not capable of doing this to
>	date, does anyone have a recommended hardware and
>	software solution to the above?

Your guess is as good as mine.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (06/01/90)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C Archambeau) wrties:

> I don't think such drivers even exist for Xenix/Unix.  I've asked the question
> whether or not drivers and/or software for FAX boards exist, and I have yet to
> get any responses.

For FAX boards at least Xenix/Unix 386 drivers are or will be available.
POSIX FAX software to go with a PC FAX board is listed on the DoD Desktop III
contract with Unisys.  I don't know who the vendor of the board/sw is yet.
I've ordered the DOS version of SW and will be ordering POSIX (SCO Unix Sys V
386) as soon as it becomes available.

Mike Dobson

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil

dan@seeker.UUCP (Dan Cooper) (06/02/90)

In article <2933@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com (Otto Miller) writes:
>>I have several questions on minix, here they are in no
>>particular order!

first message deleted

>>2).     Has anyone written a driver for any of the voice mail
>>	cards (I only know of PC cards to date... but I am sure
>>	there are others) like Watson, BigMouth etc.?
>
>I don't think such drivers even exist for Xenix/Unix.  I've asked the question
>whether or not drivers and/or software for FAX boards exist, and I have yet to
>get any responses.

The BigmOuth card probably can't work under minix as it needs to be polled.
As soon as get updated to 1.5.10 (my disks hopefully on the way from a
friend) I'm going to give it a try. I'll post if it works.
The two line bigger brother of BigmOuth has the on-board smarts, memory buffer,
and IRQ capability, but it's a bigger project.  I'll be glad to supply the
information if anyone is interested in doing a minix driver.  I'm not sure
when I'll get to doing it myself.

As to the other boards, I know Dialogic sells a Unix driver for their 4 port
card. I doubt that includes source code.

DBC

!uunet!seeker!dan