[comp.os.minix] Xt_wini.c TOO fast - suggestions?

wkt@rodos2.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) (06/05/90)

In article <20965@nigel.udel.EDU>, kyber!minixug!root@relay.eu.net writes:
>>From article <1917@sparko.gwu.edu>, by amr@seas.gwu.edu (Amr El-Kadi):
>> I've got an IBM PC/XT with one floppy and a 32M ST238R hard disk with BIOS
>> v1.5.  I've failed to run MINIX v1.2 on it, the message I got was:
>> Kernel Panic: Can't read partition table of winchester 0
>I have a machine with the same config (ST238R, ST-11R, BIOS 1.5), and
>some people sent me patches for the XT driver to get the disk to work
>with MINIX 1.5.XX. Alas, it still doesn't work.

I have exactly the same problem. Here are my observations/setup:

	a) 20MHz '386SX, ST-238R drive, Adaptec ??? _XT_ controller

	b) Minix 1.5.x bios_wini.c works with this setup, but this
	   means real mode (640K only)

	b) Minix 1.5.x xt_wini.c works when the CPU speed is 8MHz,
	   but I get a `bad partition' at 20MHz. Also at 8MHz, I
	   have protected mode & 2Meg memory.

Conclusion: The delay loops in xt_wini.c are not long enough to cope with
	the extra speed of the CPU. However, I don't know which ones to
	change, and the ones I tried failed to achieve anything.

Request: Could someone who understands xt_wini.c please suggest how to
	modify it. Alternatively, can bios_wini.c be made to work in
	protected mode?

Thanks in advance!

	Warren Toomey	- wkt@cs.adfa.oz.au@munnari.oz.au(@uunet.uu.net)