[comp.os.minix] Re^2: MacMINIX

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (06/07/90)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>In article <1458@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> lennox@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) writes:
>>
>>Why is MacMINIX going to be a hosted app, rather than a REAL OPERATING SYSTEM
>>as on the IBM PC, Atari, and Amiga??

Actually, I would rather see MacMinix as a hosted OS.  I have yet to see many
real word processors for unix systems... nothing yet resembling what I already
have on the Mac.  Having the capability of getting the benefits of Minix, without
having to give up the benefits of the Mac sounds like a definate win to me.

>Because IBM, Atari, and Commodore are happy to tell you how the machine
>works.  Apple's attitude is that you are a user and you can be trusted to
>point with the mouse.  [...] Kind of hard to write a native OS for a secret
>machine.

Actually, if you are a developer, you can get access to all sorts of information
as to how the machine works.  Even if you are not, if you REALY wanted to find
out, I am sure that it would be possible to reverse engineer the beaste.  I think
that the real problem would be which machine?  For example, the internal architecture
of my Mac IIci is radically different from that of a Mac+, and neither one has much
in common with the IIfx.

Besides, I already have A/UX.  If MacMinix turned out to be a "Real Operating
System", I probably wouldn't buy it.  As it is, I am eagerly awaiting "Sometime
this summer" -- almost as much as I am awaiting for System 7 beta.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
Three Letter Company						603 883 2474