[comp.os.minix] Help with badblocks

SHARKEY@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott A. Sharkey) (06/08/90)

Well In my version of Minix (1.3, and counting!) badblocks doesn't work with
blocks > 8192.  It takes them all right, but they are not properly marked, cause
as soon as I write to one, I get unrecoverable errors on blocks I told badblocks
to mark.  Does anyone have a fix relative to 1.3?  I'm trying to catch up to
1.5, but can't get past some of these bad spots on my disk!

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (06/08/90)

In article <12595957453016@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, SHARKEY@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott A. Sharkey) writes:
> Well In my version of Minix (1.3, and counting!) badblocks doesn't work with
> blocks > 8192.  It takes them all right, but they are not properly marked, cause
> as soon as I write to one, I get unrecoverable errors on blocks I told badblocks
> to mark.  Does anyone have a fix relative to 1.3?  I'm trying to catch up to
> 1.5, but can't get past some of these bad spots on my disk!

After you do a 'badblocks', do an fsck.  Fsck will fix the free zone bitmap.
I thought someone posted a fix for badblocks a while back, though.

--
Guy Helmer                             ...!bigtex!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer
DSU Computing Services         ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp,  helmer@sdnet.bitnet