[comp.os.minix] Needing TOS to format

archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) (06/11/90)

Dick Heijne acc/ts <dick@ahds.uucp> writes:
> [lots of stuff from Andrew G. Minter, Michael E. Dobson and somebody else]
>
> Yeeeahhh, does anybody know if there are any developments in this area
> for ST-minix ? ( or did I mis something a while back ? )

The 1.5 version includes a nice and useful format(1L) command. I use it often
because I can't stand the sight of the awful Atari Gem Desktop :-)

To use the format (as in format dd0), one should have the 1.5 kernel, fs, the
format command, and define /dev/fmtfd0, /dev/ftmfd1, /dev/fmtdd0, /dev/fmtdd1
with major number 3 and minor numbers 64, 65, 72 and 73 (64+minors of fd0, fd1,
dd0 and dd1). Just type "format dd0", and then "mkfs dd0 720", and you've got
a brand new disk

    Vincent

Vincent Archer                   | Email:archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com
"People that are good at finding excuses are never good at anything else"

wsinrn@tuewsn.win.tue.nl (Guess who) (06/11/90)

In article <21669@nigel.udel.EDU> archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) writes:
>To use the format (as in format dd0), one should have the 1.5 kernel, fs, the
>format command, and define /dev/fmtfd0, /dev/ftmfd1, /dev/fmtdd0, /dev/fmtdd1
>with major number 3 and minor numbers 64, 65, 72 and 73 (64+minors of fd0, fd1,
>dd0 and dd1). Just type "format dd0", and then "mkfs dd0 720", and you've got
>a brand new disk

I've been wondering about something, since IBM invented the IBM-PC, a lot
has happened, especially in hardware. The original PC started out with
single-sided, 160K drives, with 8 sectors/track, later on DOS started using
9 sectors/track. Nowadays DOS still uses 9 sectors/track, while other OS's
use more, 10 or 11, the amiga packs 880K on a 3.5" disk. The hardware and
diskettes is the same, and since Minix is not bound by MS-DOS, is it possible
to put more than 720K on a 3.5" disk ?
I am not sure about 5.25" disks since people with original IBM-PC's might
also run Minix, but 3.5" drives are considerably newer and in my experience
more reliable.

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Re: Needing TOS to format (was Needing DOS to format)

--

Rob J. Nauta  ( wsinrn@win.tue.nl, wsinrn@tuewsn.lso.win.tue.nl) writes:
> [stuff from me about tos formatting]
> I've been wondering about something, since IBM invented the IBM-PC, a lot
> has happened, especially in hardware. The original PC started out with
> single-sided, 160K drives, with 8 sectors/track, later on DOS started using
> 9 sectors/track. Nowadays DOS still uses 9 sectors/track, while other OS's
> use more, 10 or 11, the amiga packs 880K on a 3.5" disk. The hardware and
> diskettes is the same, and since Minix is not bound by MS-DOS, is it possible
> to put more than 720K on a 3.5" disk ?

I won't answer for MS-DOS, but I'm now adapting my old 1.1 stwini.c that used
to enable me to work with "any format" disks, with any number of tracks,
sectors and sides on a ST. Given my hardware (I've got a cheap drive), I can
support as much as 810K disks, with 81 tracks, 10 sectors, 2 sides (The Amiga
use 80 tracks, 11 sectors on 2 sides). With the new driver, dd0 and dd1 vanish,
the driver adapts itself to the disk type. I'm working on the format stuff,
which was introduced since 1.1

Anyway, when you control the hardware, there's no reason not to push it to its
limits - provided that everybody else will be able to do the same (I hate those
software editors who use track 81 for protection scheme: I CANT ACCESS track
above 80!!!).

dick@ahds.uucp (Dick Heijne acc/ts) (06/14/90)

In article <21669@nigel.udel.EDU>, archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) writes:
> Dick Heijne acc/ts <dick@ahds.uucp> writes:
> > Yeeeahhh, does anybody know if there are any developments in this area
> > for ST-minix ? ( or did I mis something a while back ? )
>
> The 1.5 version includes a nice and useful format(1L) command. I use it often
[ stuff deleted ]
>     Vincent

I'm still running the ST 1.0 preliminary version (thanks to some
developments in the early Monix days). I ordered 1.5 at Fred's but
didn't receive yet. Will keep watching my (physical) mailbox!
Thanks for pointing out,

Dick Heijne.