[comp.os.minix] Entried in /dev

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (06/12/90)

In article <2620@ditsyda.oz>, evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce.Evans) writes:
> In article <24725@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
> >Is it better to have /dev filled up with every possible device that a
> >machine can have, just in case you want to use it in the future, or
> >would it be better to have /dev filled with only the actual devices you
> >really have on your system?  I can see advantages to both.  What is done
> >on bigger *nix platforms?  Why?

I've been wondering about this too lately...

> On a bigger system, they all have to be there, so the users don't have to
> bother the system administrator at 4am. There are 430 entries in /dev on
> the BSD system I'm logged onto now.

My system here at work has 1188 entries in /dev. I'd say that 80% of them
could be removed because they refer to devices which I don't have or use.
I've been considering writing them to tape (with CPIO) and removing them.
They slow things down when doing directory operations like 'ls /dev/t*'.

> On Minix, the devices have to be there, or a program to create them and/or
> documentation must be kept around. I find the most convenient documentation
> of device numbers is "ls -l /dev".

I agree.

I found out the hard way about not having all of /dev/hd[0123456789] on
my root file system floppy disk: While upgrading I had one file system
on hd6 and another file system on hd2. In the process of upgrading I copied
the filesystem from hd6 to hd2 and then destroyed the hd6 copy (after all,
I had a good copy on hd2 - write?). However, when I booted my new
version of Minix with the old /dev entries I found that I had removed /dev/hd2
because I wasn't using it. The end result was that I couldn't mount hd2
on the new version of Minix (and, of course, mknod was on hd2).

The details are a bit foggy, but the right idea is there...

Now, I'm going to keep /dev entries for all HD and FD devices. However, for
partitions which I'm not using, I'm going to use capital letters. I.e.,
/dev/HD3.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

V2057A%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Juan Jose Noyles) (06/14/90)

I was a bit confused when this topic first began circulating, but I understand
now (I think).  MINIX doesn't actually NEED all of those special files, but
you can't use them if they don't exist.  UNIX is the same way.