[comp.os.minix] Entries in /dev

archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) (06/14/90)

Chris Rende <car@trux.UUCP> writes:
> evans@ditsyda.oz (Bruce.Evans) writes:
> > On a bigger system, they all have to be there, so the users don't have to
> > bother the system administrator at 4am. There are 430 entries in /dev on
> > the BSD system I'm logged onto now.
>
> My system here at work has 1188 entries in /dev.

Usually, when you're overloaded with things in a directory, the answer is to
set up sub-directories. Why else use a hierarchical file system? :-) HP-UX
uses things like /dev/dsk to put all disk devices, /dev/rdsk to put all "raw"
(character) versions, and so on... Much easier to find your way around.

>                                                  I'd say that 80% of them
> could be removed because they refer to devices which I don't have or use.

Never remove something from on-line storage that you might need for on-line
operation.

>                                        In the process of upgrading I copied
> the filesystem from hd6 to hd2 and then destroyed the hd6 copy (after all,
> I had a good copy on hd2 - write?). However, when I booted my new
> version of Minix with the old /dev entries I found that I had removed /dev/hd2
> because I wasn't using it. The end result was that I couldn't mount hd2
> on the new version of Minix (and, of course, mknod was on hd2).

What did I just said? :-)

    Vincent

Vincent Archer                   | Email:archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com
"People that are good at finding excuses are never good at anything else"