[comp.os.minix] copying MINIX from 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 disks

MRTSI@CUNYVM (Mimi Tausner) (06/27/90)

Date:         Tue, 26 Jun 90 00:52:06 EDT
From:         Mimi Tausner <MRTSI@CUNYVM>
Subject:      Copying MINIX from 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 disks?
To:           MINIX-L@NDSUVM1

We were using MINIX 1.2 last semester and just purchased the AT
version of MINIX 1.3.  P-H sent it on 5 1/4 inch disks.  I want to
copy it to 3 1/2 inch disks.  I don't yet have the new manual which
I assume has instructions for doing this (if there are new
instructions).

I tried to copy the disks in the same way we did it for MINIX 1.2 -
i.e. using an AT which has a 5 1/4 inch a: drive and a 3 1/2 inch
b: drive.  I used DOS to format, then booted MINIX and used "cp" to
copy the disks from /dev/fd0 to /dev/fd1.  It appeared that the
"cp" worked and the new boot disk worked, but I'm having trouble
reading the 3 1/2" root file system disk.  What did I do wrong?  The
only thing I can think of is that I forgot to unmount the /USR disk
in fd0 before I started copying.

I can't test my theory about what went wrong because I don't have
access to that AT with the two different sized disk drives at this
time.

Another question - how do I get a copy of Glen's tutorial about how
to upgrade from MINIX 1.3 to 1.5, etc.?  People keep referring to
that wonderful tutorial.