[comp.os.minix] MINIX - latest version?

lucio@proxima.UUCP (Lucio de Re) (06/24/90)

I am about to order a copy of Minix (Ver 1.3, I believe) from
Austin Code Works. Could anyone please tell me whether this
release includes RS-232 and RLL drivers, or whether I should
look elsewhere (and if so where) for such extensions.

I do not have access to the internet and attempts to use FTP
servers so far have failed from here. So please give me
UUCP or BBS addresses, not FTP.

If anybody can let me know where I can find a catalogue of
Minix extensions, Public Domain or at a price, I would dearly
appreciate it.

I used to design nuclear reactors and you should see the code that
engineers and scientists come up with. Yuuuck! Spaghetti everywhere.
-------------------------------------------------- (Kenneth L Moore) -
Lucio de Re                               ...uunet!ddsw1!proxima!lucio
-------------------------------------------------------- lucio@proxima
                Disclaimer: He must have been joking!

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (06/28/90)

In article <1302@proxima.UUCP> lucio@proxima.UUCP (Lucio de Re) writes:
>I am about to order a copy of Minix (Ver 1.3, I believe) from
>Austin Code Works. Could anyone please tell me whether this
>release includes RS-232 and RLL drivers, or whether I should
>look elsewhere (and if so where) for such extensions.

I was also wondering if there is a IDE controller driver.  I will be
getting a 100Mb Conner, and need a driver.

If there is one, please tell me where I can get it off of Internet if
possible.

Thanks in advance.

+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET:  petrilli@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu         represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."

SHARKEY@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott A. Sharkey) (06/28/90)

Finally!  A question that I can answer to repay all of you who have helped
me!  I'm using a 110MB IDE drive under Minix 1.3 right now.  I didn't have
to make much in the way of changes - none that are really related to IDE.  The
IDE controller interface is the same as an AT.  BUT, I had to change the number
of heads/cylinders in fsck, fdisk, and others?  And, since my controller puts
the int41H/int46H drive parameter table in the "reserved" interrupt space,
I had to make a copy of the table for minix before minix overwrites it.  Glen
Overby tells me that he fixed most of this in 1.5.  Also, in 1.3, I could only
get about 30K blocks on a drive, and minix won't allow you to mount more than
one of those since there are bugs in the buffer handling routines.  Glen
fixed that in 1.5 also.  I'm slowly working up to 1.5.10, and will report back
when I get there.  If you have more questions, please ask!  My drive is a
Imprimis drive, but I suspect that all the IDE drives of this size have a
similar interface.  -Scott