[net.unix-wizards] Allowing users to 'chown' files

Chris.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (08/28/82)

Date:     22 Aug 82 21:00:47-EDT (Sun)
Come on guys!  What do you think group IDs are for?  A simple solution
to all this is to make the 'chgrp' program usable by mere mortals as
long as they are allowed to 'newgrp' to the specified group, and as
long as they own the original files.  (We have already done this here
at U of MuD.)  Then you write a shell script (or program, if you want
some speed) that lets a user create a new group in the /etc/group file,
with himself and specified others on it.  Now, for two people to work
together on something, they make up their own group, chgrp and chmod any
existing files, and voila! no security problems.
					- Chris Torek
					(chris.Umcp-Cs@UDel-Relay)

FC01@USC-ECL@sri-unix (09/02/82)

From: FC01 <FC01 at USC-ECL>
Date: 28 Aug 1982 1517-PDT
I agree with the person who says to do a chown you should have the password
of the new owner required.

	All this B.S. about freedom doesn't include the right to force your
will on others, and that is what a chown to them is, forcing your file on
them. If you want them to be able to copy it, protect it so they can. If you
want more restrictions, write a program that allows them to access your files
and give it setuid for the owner on your directory.
-------