From: culberts@hplwbc.hpl.hp.com (Bruce Culbertson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.nsc.32k
Subject: Minix
Date: 24 Jun 90 22:49:59 GMT
Sender: news@daver.bungi.com

Ok, I am finally ready to distribute Minix for the pc532.  There are
three machines running it already in addition to my own.  Dave Rand and
George Scolero have taken a copy with them to Australia so there may be
some more systems soon.  I think people are generally pleased.  Think of
this as an experimental system, however, rather than a supported,
reliable, production system.  Setting up Minix to run on your pc532 will
very likely involve some grubby bit-twiddling.  Installation notes will
be skimpy but I will answer questions via e-mail and the mailing list.

Minix is copyrighted by Prentice-Hall so I have to be careful about
distributing it.  To receive Minix from me, you will need to send me the
boot disk from any official Prentice-Hall Minix distribution.  The
copyright must appear on the disk label.  No reasonable facsimiles,
please.  If you have a tape version, please send it along with enough
postage for me to send it back to you.  I will return all tapes and
disks but do keep a copy!

I originally intended to distribute pc532-Minix via e-mail.  However,
since I have to return your boot disks anyway, I decided to distribute
it on floppy disks.  There were also concerns about e-mail security,
reliability and cost.

I also intend to distribute more files than I originally announced.  You
will still need to get most of the library and command sources from a
standard Minix distribution.  The distribution will include

  * Over 100 command binaries
  * All sources to rebuild the OS image
  * All code development tools
  * Standard library and floating point library binaries
  * Floating point library sources
  * Full include file tree

At least in the beginning, I will supply these on MS-DOS disks.  MS-DOS
machines are pretty common and PC-Minix owners can read MS-DOS disks
from their Minix machines.  The files will be tar'ed and compress'ed.
The files fit on two 1.2 megabyte or six 360 kilobyte disks.  I prefer
to make 1.2 megabyte disks.  I'll consider making other formats (besides
360K and 1.2M MS-DOS) as time and equipment allows.  Getting the files
onto your pc532 SCSI disk is a problem you will have to solve.

To receive the distribution, send your boot disk and one of

  plan A
    * two 1.2M floppies
    * packaging for return mail
    * postage for return mail

  plan B
    * six 360K floppies
    * packaging for return mail
    * postage for return mail

  plan C
    * six dollars for floppies, packaging, and return postage

Send the above to

  Bruce Culbertson
  2083 Princeton Street
  Palo Alto, California 94306