[comp.os.minix] Questions about Minix ST

RXS12@psuvm.psu.edu (06/30/90)

Ok, here are the questions:

   1)  How much disk space does Minix take up?  I currently only have 2 400k
       floppies but, a hard drive will be added to my ST soon.

   2)  How much RAM is best to use with it?  Meaning:  Do I want to upgrade
       to more than the 1 MB of ram that I have.

   3)  Does it support networking?  Could I set it up as an internet site with
       minix?

   4)  Can there be more than one username on the system?  (i.e.  root, me,
       guest, joeuser, etc...)

Well, thats about all for now ... Hope to get replies soon.  :-)

Ron S.

ken@minster.york.ac.uk (07/02/90)

In article <90180.154419RXS12@psuvm.psu.edu> RXS12@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Ok, here are the questions:
>
>   1)  How much disk space does Minix take up?  I currently only have 2 400k
>       floppies but, a hard drive will be added to my ST soon.

A hard drive is almost essential. I am using an SH205 20Mb drive, with 16Mb
for Minix, and 4Mb for TOS (guess which I use most!). The full 1.5.10
sources need 4.3Mb unpacked (it's a good idea to keep the sources online).
You can't keep all the commands (/usr/bin) on a single floppy - they need
about 2Mb.

>   2)  How much RAM is best to use with it?  Meaning:  Do I want to upgrade
>       to more than the 1 MB of ram that I have.

I have 1Mb and it's just about sufficient. You will need 2Mb to run GNU cc
properly.

>   3)  Does it support networking?  Could I set it up as an internet site with
>       minix?

Minix supports uucp (thanks to the dutch minix user group - thanks!). You
should be able to use your machine as a mail server.

>   4)  Can there be more than one username on the system?  (i.e.  root, me,
>       guest, joeuser, etc...)

Yes. More than one user concurrently and things start to get slow, memory
(1Mb) gets tight, etc.