[comp.os.minix] Prentice Hall shipping MINIX 1.5?

joshua5@bucsf.bu.edu (Jim Peters) (06/14/90)

Prentice Hall promised to be shipping MINIX of some version on
3.5 inch disks for IBM PS/2's in June.  Since it is June have they?
What version?

					-- Jim.

abc@adm.BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) (06/15/90)

In article <JOSHUA5.90Jun14124659@bucsf.bu.edu> joshua5@cs.bu.edu writes:
>Prentice Hall promised to be shipping MINIX of some version on
>3.5 inch disks for IBM PS/2's in June.  Since it is June have they?
>What version?

According to Waldon's Software Store in Bel Air (MD), PH was not yet
shipping in June.  PH is reported to have told the manager that they'd
probably be shipping by the end of the summer.

--
_Brinton Cooper		BRL - Where "Research" is our Middle Name.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (06/15/90)

In article <JOSHUA5.90Jun14124659@bucsf.bu.edu> joshua5@cs.bu.edu writes:
>Prentice Hall promised to be shipping MINIX of some version on
>3.5 inch disks for IBM PS/2's in June.

Not true.  I said sometime in the summer.  Everyone except the Australians
and New Zealanders agrees that summer ends Sept. 22.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Gareth Beale) (07/03/90)

Jim Peters <joshua5%BUCSF.BU.EDU@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

>Prentice Hall promised to be shipping MINIX of some version on
>3.5 inch disks for IBM PS/2's in June.  Since it is June have they?
>What version?

This information I have seen does not specifically relate to the PS/2,
but here goes:

A colleague at work came back from USENIX with the Prentice-Hall 1990
catalogue.  Included in the description of Dr Tanenbaum's O.S. book
(Operating Systems Design etc.) was a column that said:

"Also available, August 1990:  MINIX 1.5"

The description also went on to list the versions available (read
processors supported).  Namely the IBM PC line (8088, 80286, 80386) as well
as Atari ST, Amiga, and Macintosh computers. There followed a lengthy
description of features provided, and a footnote to the effect that
additional information was forthcoming.

There was a listing in the back of the catalogue showing the ISBN numbers
of all the books described in it, but I did not see an entry for MINIX 1.5.

Looks like you might have at least another month to wait.

Gareth Beale (206)865-5375  #
Mail Stop 7A-35             #  e-mail:
Boeing Computer Services    #  gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com
P.O. Box 24346              #  or:
Seattle, Wa. 98124-0346     #  gfb%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (07/03/90)

In article <23426@nigel.udel.EDU> gfb@wsc-sun.boeing.com (Gareth Beale) writes:

>Jim Peters <joshua5%BUCSF.BU.EDU@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:
>
>>Prentice Hall promised to be shipping MINIX of some version on
>>3.5 inch disks for IBM PS/2's in June.  Since it is June have they?

No.  The date was, and still is, end of August.  At least for the IBM,
Atari and Amiga versions.  The Mac version will probably slip a bit.

Andy