[comp.os.minix] UW and ST Minix

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (06/29/90)

david.megginson@canremote.uucp (DAVID MEGGINSON) writes:

>I do not have minix, but I was wondering if uw (the Unix Windows server
>program) will run on it. You could hook up a cheap 520 ST (a few hundred
>$$) to your regular ST over a NUL modem cable, and have a multi-windowed
>environment to run Minix in. Just a thought.

I seem to be behind the times or confused.

I understood that the uw server code was available (where?) but that
source for the client was not available and only a binary for the Mac
existed.

If source for the client is available would someone post the information
as I am sure there would be others interested.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

In article <3004@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>I seem to be behind the times or confused.
>
>I understood that the uw server code was available (where?) but that
>source for the client was not available and only a binary for the Mac
>existed.

The full source for the UW server and the Mac client are available from
the author. I've forgotten the ftp address offhand, sorry.

A full, current-as-of-a-year-ago copy of the Unix & Mac stuff is also
available for anonymous ftp from terminator.cc.umich.edu.

The full source & binaries for an Atari ST client are also available
on terminator, in the atari/telecomm directory. The current ST client
also allows Kermit transfers interleaved with the UW protocol.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip