[net.unix-wizards] when to echo tty input

chris.umcp-cs@Udel-Relay@sri-unix (09/02/82)

From:     Chris Torek <chris.umcp-cs@Udel-Relay>
Date:     30 Aug 82 1:00:25-EDT (Mon)
I like the way the new tty driver (berkeley 4.1 'ttynew') works -- I've
seen the echo-immediately-but-erase-and-move-if-output-comes-through
method (I implemented it in Gosling's Emacs) but don't really like it,
and it's not really nice to make the system spend lots of time in the
tty driver.  Besides, what do you do if (for example) the guy has had
echoing turned off for 10 characters and now he turns it on?  Do you
immediately echo those 10 characters?  It seems to me that a 'retype
pending input' is sufficient (and, of course, a lot easier).