[comp.os.minix] PC/AT MINIX questions

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) (07/12/90)

Are add-ons available for the PC/AT version of MINIX that allow the any of the
following:

1. Use all available memory (not just 512K or 640K)?
2. Use the 80386 protected mode?
3. Permit a choice of operating system at boot time (DOS or MINIX)?
3a. How about a DOS & BIOS emulator that runs under MINIX (something similar
    to the DOS-Merge available for Sun/OS)?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
--Dwaine

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/13/90)

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>Are add-ons available for the PC/AT version of MINIX that allow the any of the
>following:
>
>1. Use all available memory (not just 512K or 640K)?

If you have Bruce Evans' protected mode extensions.  You have to get those
from a Minix archive site.

>2. Use the 80386 protected mode?

Again, Bruce Evans has done it again with a 386 protected mode extension.  I
will probably be setting aside a Minix partition after I get a bigger hard
drive.

>3. Permit a choice of operating system at boot time (DOS or MINIX)?

I think somebody has made a boot program that is similiar to the Xenix boot
routine where you can either boot Minix or DOS.

>3a. How about a DOS & BIOS emulator that runs under MINIX (something similar
>    to the DOS-Merge available for Sun/OS)?

There's a lot more to it than emulating the BIOS.  You need an application
that puts the 386 in Virtual '86 mode and interfaces with the *nix kernel.
I don't see anybody wanting to go out and actually writing an application forr
Minix that is comparable to Sun DOSWindows, ISC VP/ix, or LCC DOS/Merge.  For
one, there's the royalty issue of MicroSoft wanting to dip into it.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */