[comp.os.minix] lharc on UNIX boxes

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (07/13/90)

In article <946@rossignol.Princeton.EDU>
nfs@cs.Princeton.EDU (Norbert Schlenker) writes:

>[stuff about comic deleted]

>On a related note, has anyone gotten lharc to compile on a Unix box?

Yes, I did on a NCR Tower 32 a few days ago. It compiled without any
problem. We run, yet, the SysV.2 version of NCR-Unix.

>Every one I've tried here fails to compile lhio.c without error,
>apparently because of an incompatibility with <dirent.h>.  Is there
>an easy fix?

>[other stuff deleted]

You didn't mention which UNIX you are using, I know, that BSD-derived
UNIXes (sp ?) and SysV UNIXes are quite different in the area you did
mention (dirent.h vs. dir.h, etc.).

However, I have a problem with lharc.

If you add one or more files to an existing archive (.lzh file) it
gets corrupted and is unusable.
Fortunately, it leaves a copy of the old .lzh file. Perhaps that is
a bug, too ? (In face of the problem mentioned above I WILL call it
a feature :-)).

Otherwise, i.e. transferring .lzh files to DOS and unpacking it
there, it seems to work fine.
So, creating the archive once is safe. Doing a table of contents
and extraction does work and the files are the same as before lharc-ing.

Hope this helps,

Norbert.

--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14