[comp.os.minix] A few questions about ST-Minix

arsen@milkfs.itstd.sri.com (Tom Arseneault) (07/12/90)

Hello, I would like to ask a few questions about ST-Minix. First off I
know about PC-Minix, just how is ST-Minix different and how is it
alike? Does it support file of any size or are there limits like
PC-Minix (I would not think so with the 68000's flat memory map)? What
types of drives does it support, my ST has a SCSI adapter on it can I
hook any size drive up to it? Is it a Gem application or does it take
over the whole machine? And lastly but most importantly how do I get
my hands on a upto date (1.5 or better) copy?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas J. Arseneault
arsen@itstd.sri.com
SRI International

Vincent Archer <archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com> (07/12/90)

Tom Arseneault <arsen@milkfs.itstd.sri.com> asks:
>Hello, I would like to ask a few questions about ST-Minix. First off I
>know about PC-Minix, just how is ST-Minix different and how is it
>alike? Does it support file of any size or are there limits like
>PC-Minix (I would not think so with the 68000's flat memory map)? What
>types of drives does it support, my ST has a SCSI adapter on it can I
>hook any size drive up to it? Is it a Gem application or does it take
>over the whole machine? And lastly but most importantly how do I get
>my hands on a upto date (1.5 or better) copy?

ST-Minix is identical to the PC version except that:
* You do not have to worry about 64K I & D space!
* The compiler stuff is better!
but:
* You have less hardware support...
* You do not have networking (yet)...

If your hard drive can be accessed using a driver that accepts Atari drives, it
should work. As for the up-to-date copy, buy 1.1 and apply the patches, or
wait 2 month and order it from P-H.

    Vincent

Vincent Archer                   | Email:archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com
"People that are good at finding excuses are never good at anything else"

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (07/15/90)

In article <24314@nigel.udel.EDU>, archer%segin4.segin.fr@prime.com (Vincent Archer) writes:
> > Tom Arseneault <arsen@milkfs.itstd.sri.com> asks:
  (Stuff Deleted) .....
> >What types of drives does it support, my ST has a SCSI adapter on it
>
> If your hard drive can be accessed using a driver that accepts Atari drives, it
> should work.
>

>     Vincent

This is a BAD assumption.  Remember firstly that MINIX uses interrupts and
TOS doesn't.  Some adaptor cards (like the early Supras) have exhibited
problems with interrupt generation.  Secondly, some drives - notably the
early Triangles don't even use normal SCSI commands.  They have a home-grown
command set which won't work with the MINIX-ST drivers.

In short -

1.  If you have an existing hard drive, try MINIX on it before buying your own
    copy of MINIX.
2.  If you are about to buy a hard drive, insist that the vendor demonstrates
    that it is MINIX compatible.

This may sound a bit ominous - in 99% of cases you will be all right.  On the
other hand, do you want to bet on the odds of your drive being the odd 1% ??

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael (eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk)      " Software cannot be written to
85 Hawthorne Crescent                        be completely free of errors."