[comp.os.minix] What is in the book

tgcpwd@rc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) (07/16/90)

Hello *,

I keep seeing references here in comp.os.minix to a 700-800 pages book
which will come with one or the other package (The 1.5, or the ST-package,
or...) What is in this book? I guess it is not THE Book (Design and
Implementation, Prentice Hall, 1987 by ast), because I understood from
various announcements that the new version of THE Book will accompany
the arrival of Minix 2. But what is then in the referred-to book?

btw. No one yet replied to my posting about cron and at/atrun. Could
some guru please help me on that one too?

       Met vriendelijke groeten, Wim 'Blue Baron' van Dorst
          baron@wiesje.mug.hobby.nl and tgcpwd@urc.tue.nl

--

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (07/17/90)

In article <1836@tuegate.tue.nl> tgcpwd@rc3.urc.tue.nl (Wim van Dorst) writes:
>Hello *,
>
>I keep seeing references here in comp.os.minix to a 700-800 pages book
>which will come with one or the other package (The 1.5, or the ST-package,
>or...) What is in this book?

I believe this is the wad of papers us 1.5.5 beta testers got.  What I saw
had 9 chapters, but I only got 3 or 4.

From memory:

Chapter 2 is an Excelent step-by-step installation manual, with examples (If
I recall correctly, Andy has an 80M drive :-)

Chapter 9 or so is a current printing of all the "man paragraphs"

Chapter 10 or so contains the "extended manual" -- stuff like documentation
for "as" syntax, bawk, patch (?), and other programs whose documentation
takes more than one or two paragraphs.

I believe there is an Appendix that contains a current source listing and

Andy has already stated that this manuall will NOT be distributed
electronically (he's already pushing it with P-H to distribute patches free
over the net).
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)