[comp.os.minix] ST: multiple hard disks

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/18/90)

Referring to the questions posted about using multiple hard disks on
the ST with MINIX ST 1.5, I can tell the following:

I did some quick tests yesterday:
If I set NR_DRIVES to 3 in <minix/config.h> and I rebuild the kernel,
I can access my disk through scsi 1 lun 0 (assuming it is properly
jumpered)

remember that
drive 0 = scsi 0 lun 0 accessible through hd0-hd7
drive 1 = scsi 0 lun 1 accessible through hd8-hd15
drive 2 = scsi 1 lun 0 accessible through hd16-hd23

notice also that I only tried with one drive!

I haven't been able to reach the drive if it is connected to
scsi 0 lun 1. This may or may not be due to the fact that there is no
drive present at lun 0.

If someone can clarify the latter, I would be quite happy.

I see no reason why two drives on two controllers will not work,
provided that you set NR_DRIVES to the proper value
(I assume 2 drives per controller), and that you jumper
the controller properly.
Also remember that if you use scsi 1 lun 0 that hd16 (that is major
device 3 minor device 16) refers to the partition table of the drive,
so you'll have to use hd17 to get the first partition of the drive.

--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

jf@unido.UUCP (Jan-Hinrich Fessel) (07/19/90)

In article <meulenbr.648281771@cst> meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:
>I did some quick tests yesterday:
>If I set NR_DRIVES to 3 in <minix/config.h> and I rebuild the kernel,
>I can access my disk through scsi 1 lun 0 (assuming it is properly
>jumpered)

>I haven't been able to reach the drive if it is connected to
>scsi 0 lun 1. This may or may not be due to the fact that there is no
>drive present at lun 0.
I use an upgraded driver (there was sometime ago a posting for 1.1
on the net) with minix 1.5.10. There is no problem with accessing
LUN 1 on scsi 0 when no drive is attached to LUN 0. Actually the drive
connected to LUN 0 is dead, makes no difference if the drive is not
connected or not powered up.
The driver by the way fiddles around with some shift operations
to determine the number of the adaptor...

>I see no reason why two drives on two controllers will not work,
>provided that you set NR_DRIVES to the proper value
>(I assume 2 drives per controller), and that you jumper
>the controller properly.

I use this modified stwini.c because I could not access
my harddisk on LUN 1 when LUN 0 was up and working, but I haven't
traced down the problem, because applying diffs to the 1.5.0
stwini was easier. (as I work with real RCS now).

Cheers
	Jan-Hinrich
--
~~~~
	Jan-Hinrich Fessel, Universitaet Dortmund, IRB