[comp.os.minix] Update to 1.5.10 Upgrade Kit

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (07/15/90)

Andrew Cagney has informed me that he has regenerated his 1.3 to 1.5.10
upgrade kit, specifically:

	1. It contains the 1.5.0 doc & man directories

	2. It contains patches for some of the st directories
	   the following are still missing (I still have bad st1.1 sources)
		src/lib
		src/kernel
		include
		include/minix
		lib
	   However the *commands* are all there :-) along with plenty others.

	3. Because of point 2. the files have moved to upgrades/1.5/*

	4. The KIT has been split into two parts:
		upgrades/KIT
		upgrades/KIT_2
	(note: for some reason, the latter is zero-length)

	5. The programs (pam ccrc extra) that go with the upgrade kit have not
	   been tested on a st

	6. Every thing is now compressed -b13

	7. How things are packed has changed a little, each archive group now
	   also has a crc listing of the archive contents.

These bits are on ftp.adelaide.edu.au in "pub/minix/upgrades/1.5" and
plains.nodak.edu [134.129.111.64] in pub/Minix/updates/1.5.  Also look in
the "upgrades" or "updates" directory for other info.

Archive-server@plains.{nodak.edu, uucp, bitnet} can serve those of you who
do not have internet access.  See the Minix Information Sheet for details.

If you're in the US, please try using plains first to avoid loading the
international lines.

Also: The old upgrade kits on Plains are being cleaned out.

In article <5299@plains.UUCP> overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>These bits are on ftp.adelaide.edu.au in "pub/minix/upgrades/1.5" and
>plains.nodak.edu [134.129.111.64] in pub/Minix/updates/1.5.  Also look in
>the "upgrades" or "updates" directory for other info.
>
>Archive-server@plains.{nodak.edu, uucp, bitnet} can serve those of you who
>do not have internet access.  See the Minix Information Sheet for details.
>
>If you're in the US, please try using plains first to avoid loading the
>international lines.
>
>Also: The old upgrade kits on Plains are being cleaned out.

Could we please have a recap of what's needed to perform an ST upgrade?
I ftp'd over to plains.nodak.edu tonight, and hunting thru the directories
showed that the ST upgrade files were pretty much the same as before.

I just installed the ST1.1 fixes on my system tonight, and read thru the
1.5.xx upgrades, and noticed that they all say to get such-and-such file
from the PC 1.5.xx upgrade postings. So apparently you need a number of
files. But, this only seems to be the case before 1.5.10. Does the 1.5.10
ST upgrade kit contain all the "missing" files referred to by the previous
upgrade postings?

Meanwhile I'm going to repackage all the ST upgrade files into compressed
tar files. Uudecoding and unshar'ing is for the birds.... The repackaged
upgrade files will be on terminator in ~ftp/atari/Minix Real Soon Now. (I
don't know about anyone else, but it was pretty tedious getting all the
ST1.1 files into usable shape on my system... I'm setting it up as a single
tar file, to just extract in /usr...)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

BLS7@psuvm.psu.edu (07/16/90)

*sigh*

I think *someone* who has a running ST 1.5.10 pacakage should make a new
upgrade kit for the ST.  Here are some problems:  (and I'm only going to
1.5.0)

   1)  The first thing that you're supposed to unpack and make is the new
       make for Minix.  Well, this is fine and dandy *but* you have to have
       the utime.h file and some other .c files which are *not* with the ST
       package as far as I can tell.  Putting it truthfully in the READ_ME
       file that comes with make it says that the files that are needed were
       posted *but* this is over 7 months since the probable posting date of
       the articles.  The upgrade itself is supposed to take more than enough
       time why should we have to scrounge around for all of the needed files?

   2)  How are the PC 1.5 files archived?  I have them sitting as (supposedly)
       ASCII text on floppy right now.  Here is *exactly* what I did to get
       them:  (for those ppl who e-mailed me flames like "do you know what ftp
       is?" because of my last post.)

       a)  I ftp'd the files from plains.nodak.edu to pogo.ai.mit.edu
           (borrowing a unix account there)
       b)  I uncompressed *everything*.
       c)  I ftp'd the files down to a pc floppy.
       d)  I brought the floppys home.
       e)  I did a `tos -r /dev/dd0 filename >filename'

       (For those who don't know -- Atari and IBM have the same format of disks
       thus there are no problems with downloading to a PC then taking the
       disks to an Atari.)

       After all of this I have a whole bunch of unwanted :M's after everything
       but that is minor to fix.

       I have no problem with the ST files now as I wrote a little C program
       which takes off all of the :M's in it fine but, the PC files dont seem
       to want to work.  I have tried `sh <filename' and `ar x filename' to
       get these files.  (Both before and after trying my little program on
       them -- Since I couldnt find anything that said how the PC files are
       archived.)

   3)  Among all of the rest there are references in the directions for the
       upgrade to 1.5.0 to files in the PC upgrade that *do not exist*.
       (i.e.  Step #7 in the directions mentions PC part #73 -- some kind
       soul told me already that this is patch.00.Z.)

In conclusion I will say this:

   The ST upgrades might have been quite fine if you were around while they
were being develpoed and posted but, they are in very poor shape now.  I think
it's time for someone to come out with the "definitive" ST 1.1 to ST 1.5.10
upgrade kit with *either* nothing to do with the PC Upgrade Kit *or* with all
of the parts of the PC Kit *clearly* listed out that are needed.  I personally
would devote days to making this reality but, alas I have to get 1.5.10 running
before I could make that happen.

Could someone with a running ST 1.5.10 version would please e-mail me?  As I
would really like to have it running -- 1.1 has lots-o-bugs that seem to be
popping up right in the things that i really need.

                                Babs Silvis

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/16/90)

The questions asked reappear every once in a while.
For the new people I'd like to post the answers once again.

The ST upgrade refers to a lot of the PC postings.
This is because most of the PC and ST stuff are the same.
Since I did not want to post 2 or 3 Mbyte with duplicates of the
PC postings, I used pointers instead.
Posting these again is definitely NOT a good idea.

Upgrading ST 1.1 to 1.5 is a tough job and a lot of work.
You'll require a few programs (e.g. patch) which are not in the 1.1
distribution, so these should be build first.
One of the beta testers told me the 1.1 make couldn't deal with all the
makefiles supplied. That's why you need to build the new make.
After posting the update, I was told that the new make wasn't required
after all, but then it was too late.

I have no plans to make or post a new upgrade kit.
If someone feels like doing so, fine with me.
However do not flood the net with the kit, but make it available for
ftp. I would consider making the kit myself, but unfortunately I cannot
ftp, nor can people ftp to us.

If you don't feel like doing the upgrade, ask a friendly neighbour, or
buy ST 1.5 straight from PH, as soon as it becomes available
(expected late summer). ST 1.5 comes with a 750-800 page book.

Regards,
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (07/16/90)

Frans Meulenbroeksposts:
>I have no plans to make or post a new upgrade kit.
>If someone feels like doing so, fine with me.
>However do not flood the net with the kit, but make it available for
>ftp. I would consider making the kit myself, but unfortunately I cannot
>ftp, nor can people ftp to us.

No, Yes, no yes? no... yes?

>If you don't feel like doing the upgrade, ask a friendly neighbour, or
>buy ST 1.5 straight from PH, as soon as it becomes available
>(expected late summer). ST 1.5 comes with a 750-800 page book.

Ok, I give up.

I will move on to another line of questioning:

Does anyone know of PH is planing on marketing an ``upgrade'' package...
where you simply buy Minix 1.5.... but if you already have 1.1 r 1.3
you could get 1.5 for a discount?

What is really getting me here, which I assume is quite typical,
is that I bought a piece of software without really ``shopping around''
and a new release is approaching.

This is just my humble bad shopper opinion, but depending on what is in
the 750-800 page book, purchasing Minix 1.5 might be a good idea anyway.

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (07/16/90)

.....if you have access to a real UNIX box, do the upgrade on that box.
This saves your nerves.
The upgrade is pretty trivial then if you have collected the postings,
all can be made in a few minutes.

I am not an askete, so why upgrading on the MINIX box when the postings
arrive at the UNIX box anyway?

C.v.W.

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/17/90)

Ok. sorry to sound a little fuzzy.
I won't make a ST 1.1 to 1.5.10 upgrade.
I'll encourage anyone who will, but please don't post it.
Just make it available for ftp.

There may be a discount for those of you buying 1.5 who already own a
previous version. ast was discussing this with PH. I don't know the
details.

regards,
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcsun!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

I've been working on an upgrade kit. I haven't had time to complete it so
far, but expect to finish it in two weeks. I'll post a note here when it's
ready, it'll be on atari.archive.umich.edu for anonymous ftp and by mail
request.
--

In article <90196.231041BLS7@psuvm.psu.edu> BLS7@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>*sigh*

I agree!

>I think *someone* who has a running ST 1.5.10 pacakage should make a new
>upgrade kit for the ST.  Here are some problems:  (and I'm only going to
>1.5.0)

Real Soon Now...

>   1)  The first thing that you're supposed to unpack and make is the new
>       make for Minix.  Well, this is fine and dandy *but* you have to have
>       the utime.h file and some other .c files which are *not* with the ST
>       package as far as I can tell.  Putting it truthfully in the READ_ME
>       file that comes with make it says that the files that are needed were
>       posted *but* this is over 7 months since the probable posting date of
>       the articles.  The upgrade itself is supposed to take more than enough
>       time why should we have to scrounge around for all of the needed files?

Yeah, this was a real drag. I think you also needed the new library before
I could link the new make. I wound up using the old make to build the
1.5.0 library first, then fiddled with header files until I could get the
new make running. At any rate, going to 1.5.0 was a nightmare because the
library was really buggy. Word of advice if you're still going thru this -
don't wipe out your 1.1 bin directories. I was really hosed by not backing up
the binaries. ls, more, and tos{dir,read,write} stopped working, among others.
(None of these are really crucial; you can survive without them, but it's
very very painful. In particular, since I needed the tos command to get the
later updates onto my minix drive, I was heavily bumming...) I dunno what the
problems were, but it took a long time before I could get my 1.1 lib and include
back into working order to get a good 1.1 version of each command running again.

>   2)  How are the PC 1.5 files archived?  I have them sitting as (supposedly)
>       ASCII text on floppy right now.  Here is *exactly* what I did to get
>       them:  (for those ppl who e-mailed me flames like "do you know what ftp
>       is?" because of my last post.)
>
>       a)  I ftp'd the files from plains.nodak.edu to pogo.ai.mit.edu
>           (borrowing a unix account there)
>       b)  I uncompressed *everything*.
>       c)  I ftp'd the files down to a pc floppy.

Step c is suspect. Did you ftp as binary or text?

>       d)  I brought the floppys home.
>       e)  I did a `tos -r /dev/dd0 filename >filename'

If you ftp'd as text in step c, then you needed "-ra" to get the CR/LF
conversion. If you ftp'd binary, then I don't understand where the problem is.

>       (For those who don't know -- Atari and IBM have the same format of disks
>       thus there are no problems with downloading to a PC then taking the
>       disks to an Atari.)
>
>       After all of this I have a whole bunch of unwanted :M's after everything
>       but that is minor to fix.

Oh, that answers that question.... (re: my previous two comments.)

>       I have no problem with the ST files now as I wrote a little C program
>       which takes off all of the :M's in it fine but, the PC files dont seem
>       to want to work.  I have tried `sh <filename' and `ar x filename' to
>       get these files.  (Both before and after trying my little program on
>       them -- Since I couldnt find anything that said how the PC files are
>       archived.)

Could have just used "tr -d 015", but no matter. I thought these were all
shar files, but they probably used sed, which you don't have in Minix ST 1.1.
I unpacked everything on a Unix box. I tar'd my 1.1 source tree off my ST
and transferred it to the Unix box, and applied all the patches there. I'm
now re-extracting all the upgrade kits in combination with RCS, so I can keep
track of when files appeared/got updated, and prepare cdiffs for a new
upgrade kit.

>   3)  Among all of the rest there are references in the directions for the
>       upgrade to 1.5.0 to files in the PC upgrade that *do not exist*.
>       (i.e.  Step #7 in the directions mentions PC part #73 -- some kind
>       soul told me already that this is patch.00.Z.)

Hm. In the files I got off plains.nodak.edu, the :Index file plainly listed
which filename matched which posting number. At any rate, yeah, there are a
lot of missing files. I think they finally appear for ST use in the 1.5.10
upgrade kit. At least, I seem to have a complete collection now.

>In conclusion I will say this:
>
>   The ST upgrades might have been quite fine if you were around while they
>were being develpoed and posted but, they are in very poor shape now.  I think
>it's time for someone to come out with the "definitive" ST 1.1 to ST 1.5.10
>upgrade kit with *either* nothing to do with the PC Upgrade Kit *or* with all
>of the parts of the PC Kit *clearly* listed out that are needed.  I personally
>would devote days to making this reality but, alas I have to get 1.5.10 running
>before I could make that happen.
>
>Could someone with a running ST 1.5.10 version would please e-mail me?  As I
>would really like to have it running -- 1.1 has lots-o-bugs that seem to be
>popping up right in the things that i really need.
>

>                                Babs Silvis

It's been quite the hassle, that's for sure. But I guess having the rs232 stuff
is worth it. Lots of the commands work much much better. ls doesn't run out of
space in the commands directory, etc. I don't think it's worthwhile to only
go to 1.5.0, or 1.5.5, you'll definitely want to go straight from 1.1 to 1.5.10.