[comp.os.minix] Decus cpp

jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) (07/26/90)

In article <25604@nigel.udel.EDU> HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
(Christoph van Wuellen) writes:
>I have [...] decus cpp (I think a pirate version of some commercial stuff).

What makes you think that?  Perhaps you are thinking of the "DECUS YACC"
incident, where the real AT&T Yacc got onto a DECUS tape.  This was quickly
removed by DECUS, but continues to resurface occasionally on BBSes and the
net.

As far as I know, all other DECUS software (in particular their versions of
CPP and Lex) is legitimate freely distributable stuff.

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds	 	    Systems Design & Analysis Group

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (07/26/90)

Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043@DJUKFA11.bitnet> writes:
>What can be considered as a possible replacement: I have gnu cpp (is it
>that big?) and decus cpp (I think a pirate version of some commercial stuff).

Decus cpp is a complete re-write by Martin Minow, it is public domain,
and has been around for years.

Bjarne Steinsbo <bjarne@hsr.no> writes:
>In the X11R4 release there is a preprocessor in the mit/util/cpp directory.

That is the same as Decus cpp.

>Compared to the ack cpp, it turned out to have
>a little larger code-segment and a little smaller data-segment.

I suspect it is possible to cut down decus cpp to size, and the last time
I looked, I found it to a tad slower than other cpp's. Maybe somebody can
make it smaller and faster ??

oz
---
First learn your horn and all the theory.	Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
Next develop a style. Then forget all that 	uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
and just play.		Charlie Parker [?]	York U. CCS: (416) 736 5257